• Alex Concepcion
  • "What are your experiences with work-holidays and working abroad?"

Alex Concepcion

Miami, Florida

What are your experiences with work-holidays and working abroad?

What is a good strategy to find work abroad? I've heard work-holidays are a good option. Has anybody had experience with these?

• Skeeter Stopher

I traveled to New Zealand for most of a year on a Working Holiday visa. It was great. I had to get a tax id number once I arrived (really easy) so that I could work with my visa. I see you are in Miami, so I'm making an assumption that you're an American...if that's correct, there are a few countries where working holidays are easier than others. New Zealand is one of them. The job I had paid $15 NZ an hour and I got paid time off. I didn't have any trouble finding a job, and the country is beautiful, and the people are friendly. The visa was simple and free to apply for. I think I had a response within a week or two of applying. Let me know if you have any questions about this one, I'm happy to help!

• Gaia Z.

Gaia Z.

Hi, so you left without having a job? Can you ask when you did it? Because I was thinking about doing the same experience. Thanks! :) · (0 likelikes)

• Skeeter S.

Skeeter S.

Sure, of course. It was in 2010. I got a job in a town called Whitianga. It was a small resort town, so they were used to seasonal help. Before I left I had inquired about a few jobs that I saw posted and had a few responses, but most people were hesitant to offer a job to someone who wasn't there yet. I actually had two job offers after only being in Whitianga a few days. One at a coffee shop and one at resort. I took the one at the resort, but both would have been good. I'd say about 1/3 of the staff were travelers. I found people to be really nice to me as a foreign job seeker. Kiwi's are super friendly. Let me know if you have any questions. I did need to set up a NZ bank account to have my paycheck transferred into. And after I arrived I had to get a tax id number before I could start my job. But that only took a short while, I did it all through the mail, and it was free. · (1 likelikes)

• Gaia Z.

Gaia Z.

Grazie. One last thing: how did you find those job offers? Gaia · (0 likelikes)

• Skeeter S.

Skeeter S.

The coffee shop job was listed in the local newspaper. I started out just going in to all the local shops and asking if they were hiring. One of them happen to mention that they heard the resort was hiring. Which was super nice of them since I was obviously not from around there. http://www.trademe.co.nz/ is a good website to use too for local job listings. · (1 likelikes)

• Gaia Z.

Gaia Z.

I can't thank you enough! :) If you ever pass by Chicago, hit me up! · (0 likelikes)

• Skeeter S.

Skeeter S.

No problem, it's my pleasure. I hope you have a great time! · (0 likelikes)

1. New Zealand (country)

• ·
    • ·

Send Skeeter a Thank You Note