Alex
Miami

What are your experiences with work-holidays and working abroad?

What is a good strategy to find work abroad? I've heard work-holidays are a good option. Has anybody had experience with these?

Skeeter from The Oregon Coast

I traveled to New Zealand for most of a year on a Working Holiday visa. It was great. I had to get a tax id number once I arrived (really easy) so that I could work with my visa. I see you are in Miami, so I'm making an assumption that you're an American...if that's correct, there are a few countries where working holidays are easier than others. New Zealand is one of them. The job I had paid $15 NZ an hour and I got paid time off. I didn't have any trouble finding a job, and the country is beautiful, and the people are friendly. The visa was simple and free to apply for. I think I had a response within a week or two of applying. Let me know if you have any questions about this one, I'm happy to help!

1. New Zealand (country)

Jenna from Oakville, Ontario

I have been trying to answer this question myself for the passed two years and the straight forward answer is that there is no straight forward answer. Where are you looking to work and travel? So much of it depends on where you're willing to go. 

For example, China and Hungary are two super great and easy places to get an English teaching job abroad where as Italy and Greece aren't so easy but are much easier to find field labor jobs in exchange for accommodation and food. 

At the moment, I'm teaching English in Germany and working as a freelance travel writer. How often do you travel? Have you considered writing a blog? Here are a few tips from my personal experience -- blogging is a great way to travel on a budget: http://giveforgranted.com/2014/05/how-to-create-your-own-blog/

All the best, 

Jenna 
Give for Granted

1. China (country)
  2. Hungary (country)
  3. Italy (country)
  4. Greece (country)

Ben from London

My first experience with working holidays was in Canada where I got a year work visa & then worked in Whistler Blackcomb for the winter & then a chef in Montreal.  There was an abundance of work out there and the biggest move tends to be just doing it.  

I appreciate luck does come into also though.  When I moved to Budapest I had no job plans and simply fell into it by chance when I was on a walking tour which led to my job in the city and directly led me to my job as a European Tour Manager that I had for 3 years!

Official work holiday programmes would be an easy option though from what I understand of it

1. Whistler Blackcomb (attraction)
  2. Montreal (city)
  3. Budapest (city)