Jake

What are the best websites or blogs for extreme/off-beat adventure ideas?

I'm always looking for ideas of unique, off-the-beaten path adventures. Unfortunately, if I Google "extreme or unique, off-the-beaten path adventures" it just turns up a bunch of skydiving sites and 4x4 tours. Not what I'm looking for!

I assume if it's a website, they're probably a tour company, so maybe I'm looking for blogs or personal websites... or people to follow on social media who are truly seek out new adventures.

The type of adventures that sort of mesh with what I'm looking for can be found at TheAdventurists.com. They don't have to be a set up race like this site does. They could have nothing to do with competition. I just feel like there is no unified place on the Internet for true unguided adventures.

Any ideas would be great!

Brian

I'd start with Atlas Obscura and just go. Personally, I think riding one of these cable cars would be a huge adventure.

Ben from London

Check out The Transcontinental Race if you like cycling!

We offer some cool off-beat experiences you may like :) 

www.everthoughtoftrying.com

I travel 365 days a year, working around 125 days a year as a tour leader and spend the majority of rest of the year cycling and walking around the globe.

I sometimes put up blog posts when I realise that there is very little info about where I have just been.

I find it quite satisfying to help other people who want to do the same with some advice and I get quite a few google hits on my posts about cycling around the globe.

My blog is www.travellingclaus.com by the way.

When I research I never just type in adventure travel cause it's bound to just turn out a lot of paid advertisements, just like backpacking, hotels, hostels and so does.

I always try to be a little more specific when I google for stuff.

Sarah from Hamburg

Hi Jacob,
I really like Expert Vagabond and Adventurous Miriam, they are both great writers and pretty adventurous.

Take care,

Sarah

Exactly. There is no unified site like this. That's the challenge for travelers who want to be more independent - you have to find good bloggers who travel that way and share their info. That's really why I started my blog. I have a pretty good mix of DIY travel with the occasional tour when it makes sense. I also started interacting on Trippy to meet other bloggers and promote each other to other travelers looking for info that isn't as commercial.

Thuymi from Montreal, Quebec

Hi! 

My boyfriend and I are huge sports fans and love to do crazy stuff. We just started our blog and will be writing a lot about marathons around the world, adventure activities that we will do, etc.  

The blog is quite new, but you can keep tracking us! 

www.adventurefaktory.com
Cheers

Francesca from Chicago

Brad of http://mywanderlist.com/ has some pretty extreme adventures!

Marie-Eve from Montreal

I'm a contributor of the travel website www.globespots.com. We specialise in off-the-beaten path destinations. It's not a guide that will tell you where to sleep and eat, but will present you with cool places to visit, quirky things and activities. And great pictures as well. The categories (under Places > Get inspired) are a fun way to discover places without having to choose a country. Enjoy!

John

My wife and I went to the Okavango Delta in Botswana followed by tours in Zimbabwe in October.

In the Okavanga, at Moremi Crossing for example, you stay in raised cabins over looking the river and, at night, hippos come ashore and graze next to your cabin.  In the day, an elephant cruises the campground so the guides walk you fromthe lodge to your cabin.  The guides take you on canoes along the river to walk among the giraffes and zebras and at night youcan hear lions roaring.

In zimbabwe, there is a camp where there are cheetahs nearby that walk right by your vehicle stalking the wildebeests, antelopes, zebras and giraffes.

We were on a Vantage tour.  The food was excellent at Moremi Crossing.

1. Okavango Delta (attraction)
  2. Botswana (country)
  3. Zimbabwe (country)
  4. Moremi Crossing (attraction)

Roxanne from Montreal

I found this UK site, though not as extrem, still interesting.

www.walkingholidayinfo.co.uk

Marcia from Sao Paulo

I like this blog "Adventure to Anywhere " 

I hope you enjoy it! ;)