Pawan
Delhi

Pawan from Delhi asked

What are the best placess for Solo Travel?

have done couple of solo tours but all in India. I like going on solo tours as it gives me an opportunity to know my self, better.

World is massive place and more you travel the more you learn, so I wanted to ask, what are the places in the world which are ideal for Solo traveling? 

Sean from Hudson Valley

Hello Pawan,

I'm quite fond of solo traveling throughout Europe.  It's easy to do so, and if you're clever (as I'm sure you are) you can find simple ways to economize along the way. 

I also travel extensively within the United States.  It can be somewhat more difficult to do the USA solo, or economically, though.  The travel industry in the United States is geared toward "Going first class".  However, things like Air B&B are beginning to change that.  The other issue with travel in the United States is that much of it is aimed at families and couples.  But again, things are in the process of changing.

There are two areas, however, where solo travel remains difficult.

The first is resorts and resort towns.  resorts still cater largely to couples and families.  Of course it's possible to travel to solo these areas.  Since they don't catering to the solo traveler they're rather expensive.  This is true of beach resorts, ski resorts, and large theme parks.

For similar reasons, cruise ships can be prohibitively expensive for the solo traveler.  In addition, the cruise ship industry make no secret about the fact that low passage rates are made-up by extras and add-ons one the passengers are aboard.

Jacqueline from Hong Kong

I had a great time travelling around the Andalucia region in Spain last summer. Hotels were reasonably priced, there are heaps of cultural heritage stuff to see and lots of trains available which made it easy to visit many spots.

Janelle from Charleston

I've found that it's just as enjoyable to travel solo nearly anywhere in the world as it is to travel with other people.  Obviously, a solo traveller would feel out of place in places popular with couples looking for romance, e.g. French Polynesia, Seychelles, etc., but a solo traveller could have just as enjoyable an experience anywhere else.  And one could argue that it's easier to travel solo because you don't have to worry about accommodating someone else's wants and needs - you can do and see whatever you want and travel on your own terms.  And if your social skills are decent you can make friends anywhere you go. 

I'd recommend Europe, with a rail pass.  Train travel is a great way to meet other people and pick up valuable travel advice.  Germany, Netherlands, France and Spain are ideal for rail travel and it's very easy to make up an itinerary as you go.

1. Germany (attraction)
  2. Netherlands (attraction)
  3. France (attraction)
  4. Spain (country)

Hi Pawan,

I started travelling solo only a couple of years ago. Before that I normally travelled with my partner, friends or family. I LOVE the freedom of solo travel and also the opportunities to meet people and experience local places in a different way. And, for sure you get to learn new things about yourself and also build resilience. As a solo woman traveller I wanted to ensure safety first of all so got my feet wet on short trips but nonetheless really rewarding ones. The first trip was to Italy where I flew into Milan and travelled by train, seeing as much as I could in 2 weeks. I stayed in Metropolitan City of Bologna Florence Siena and visited lots of little towns including Parma and Modena It was an amazing trip and I loved every minute. Since then I have also travelled to Czech Republic and Denmark (solo) and another long trip to Italy and trips within Ireland I would be really happy to travel solo within Europe and am planning trips to Myanmar and (maybe) Vietnam later this year. 

Pawan
great...Vietnam is in my list too

1. Italy (country)
  2. Milan (city)
  3. Metropolitan City of Bologna (attraction)
  5. Siena (city)
  6. Parma (city)
  7. Modena (attraction)
  8. Czech Republic (country)
  9. Denmark (attraction)
  10. Ireland (attraction)
  11. Europe (attraction)
  12. Myanmar (attraction)
  13. Vietnam (attraction)
Marie-France from Toronto

Hi Pawan. As it happens, I wrote a blog post a couple of years ago that answers this very question, looking at the whole world: http://bigtravelnut.com/10-best-destinations-solo-travel

As Sean notes, resorts as well as most cruises and tour packages are expensive because they're geared at two people travelling together. As a solo, you have other options. Forget packages and resorts. Book your own flights (learn how to find deals) and accommodation (AirBnB, hostels, small guesthouses) and design your own itinerary. If your trip is more than a couple of weeks long, you don't need to book everything in advance. With the internet these days it's really easy to book as you go.