Kristal

What are some lesser known adventures you've experienced while traveling?

When I went to China I got to sleep on the Great Wall and wake up to the rising sun. That's only possible through 1 tour company and many people don't know about it. Are there any similar adventures you've had? What are some experiences that most people don't know about? 

Swimming/snorkling with the manatees in Crystal River was unforgettable. Such a special experience to be close to the gentle giants. They roll over and like their bellies scratched and behave like puppies.

You can see them best in the winter months when they come inland to stay warm.

1. Crystal River (city)

Missy from Newport

Swimming or sea kayaking in caves in Raja Ampat in Indonesia.  This limestone and chalk area of islands is filled with caves.  This cave is guarded by the graves of two important village people from the village that oversees this cave.  Smaller caves were used to bury important villagers, above ground with the skull raised and facing out over the feet for all time, and can be seen today by ship's tender or sea kayak when exploring this area.  

1. Raja Ampat (attraction)
  2. Indonesia (country)

Ellen from The Villages

My husband, friends and I were rerouted due to a protest on a highway in India between the Taj Mahal and Jaiphur. The road wondered through the back country of India's small towns and villages. Everyone was waving and greeting us along the way. I think some would have invited us in for tea!! Best ever unexpected sightseeing!