Rob

What apps keep you busy on a plane?

I'm looking for some of your favorite and most entertaining apps you enjoy killing time with when on a plane and you're phone is on airplane mode and can't use wifi?

Alex from Ranau

Lumosity for brain games. Memrise for learning all kinds of stuff, though particularly languages, and Duolingo for language learning as well. Sudoku Daily. Download TEDTalks before the flight on the TED app and watch or listen to them on the flight. 

Also, Evernote is indispensable for everything. But in terms of on a flight, I can take notes - to do items when I land, places to visit, interesting things I may read on my flight, etc. Also, before the flight, you can put web pages into notes, that you can then read offline on the flight. 

Also, FoodTranslator for discovering local foods at my destination and learning some food vocabulary. Though, full disclosure, I might be biased as it is an app I built.

Rachel from Iowa City

For games.. Any card game is great for passing time. Also Sim City Build It is a guilty pleasure of mine since you can play on airport mode. iTunes also has 99 cent rentals sometimes, try downloading a movie before the plane. Nothing passes the time like a movie.

Doug from Angelika Film Center & Cafe

Scrabble for sure. Stanza for quick reads of classics. Podcasts -lots but I like Readers Lives and a lot of the Anthony Bourdain series.

Josh from Baton Rouge

Kindle, Google Music, or the in flight entertainment if available.

Steven from Atlanta

I like:

• Calm (for meditation)
  • Audible (for audiobooks)
  • Stitcher (for podcasts)
  • Kindle (for reading)
  • Duolingo (for learning a language)

Of course, I'd be lying if I said I always kept it productive, so I also like:

• Spotify (for music and thinking)
  • Can you Escape (game)
  • Calm (for peaceful sleeping noises)

All of these are either offline or have an offline mode you can use after syncing things. Happy flights!

Nars from Boston

Kindle, iTunes Music and Sudoku.

norman from New Orleans

ROB!! I just like watching Movies

Lisa

There are always articles I want to read but haven't time for. So I now save them to Pocket and read them from the app while on the plane. It uses my time well and I'm mentally stimulated by what I read.

Laura from Buenos Aires

I used to watch the movies and series but now I read and with my tablet I have an unlimited library to choose from. 

Matt from Scottsdale

The thing that keeps me busiest on a plane these days is pulling out my wallet to grab my credit card to pay for this... pay for that... pay for something else....!

Anthony

I use the iOS Notes and Reminders app and use the time on a plane to organize travel plans, create reminders, write down thoughts and ideas, just about everything.

Bryce from Kamloops

Kindle, TwoDots!, and the Google Music and Movies/Video apps work really good for offline content -- Google Music you download your music on the device, and Movies/Video, you can rent, download, and keep offline for the time period and when you start watching it will expire in 48 hrs.
And of course the inflight entertainment system!

Elizabeth from Boynton Beach

Kindle - Anxiously awaiting the final book in the newest Greg Iles' Trilogy (read the first two books and you'll learn who really killed JFK ;) & my I-PAD mini with my favorite movies. I have to plead guilty to having watched "Out of Africa" & "Summertime" an embarrassing number of times on flights.