West Palm Beach

What's the best neighborhood in West Palm Beach for a first time visitor?

I've never been to West Palm Beach and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what West Palm Beach is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Lee from Podunk, New York

West Palm Beach is a small city, but the metro area covers all of Palm Beach County which is a huge county, stretching from Jupiter to Boca Raton, about 45 miles. You can walk around downtown West Palm in an afternoon and it's walkable from any hotel in Palm Beach like the Breakers or the Colony if those are affordable for you. There's a Marriott in downtown West Palm and a new Hilton due to open downtown shortly. Palm Beach is walkable from them, just across the Intracoastal Waterway. 

I would also highly recommend any of the hotels in downtown Delray Beach like the Marriott, Marriott Residence Inn, Hyatt Place or Seagate. Plan at least a couple of days to enjoy the beach, shops and restaurants along Atlantic Avenue in Delray. 

Don't stay in an airport or interstate location. You'll need to drive everywhere. 

1. West Palm Beach (city)
  2. Jupiter (city)
  3. Boca Raton (city)
  4. Delray Beach (city)