Frank

West Hollywood, Los Angeles

Best attractions to see for first timers in L.A.?

Taking my friends and family to west Hollywood for their first time and want to show them a good time . I'm a L.A. Native but I been gone too long and want them to have a great experience. What are some of the best attractions besides Disney and Universal studios ? 

Hi Frank,

I spent 2 weeks in LA for the first time last summer. These are the places I loved: LACMA  

The Getty Center 

MOCA Grand Avenue 

Griffith Observatory for observatory and views

Santa Monica Cycle to Venice

Venice Beach and Boardwalk 

Arclight Hollywood

Runyon Canyon Park early morning run

Cocktails in Chateau Marmont

Hollywood Farmers' Market (on Sunday mornings)

Beverly Center for shopping

The GroveMalibu and Manhattan BeachHollywood Walk of fame Hollywood Sign and Mann's Chinese Theater (all very touristy but worth a look)

1. LACMA (attraction)
  2. The Getty Center (attraction)
  3. MOCA Grand Avenue (attraction)
  4. Griffith Observatory (attraction)
  5. Santa Monica (city)
  6. Venice Beach and Boardwalk (attraction)
  7. Arclight Hollywood (attraction)
  8. Runyon Canyon Park (attraction)
  9. Chateau Marmont (hotel)
  10. Hollywood Farmers' Market (restaurant)
  11. Beverly Center (attraction)
  12. The Grove (attraction)
  13. Malibu (city)
  14. Manhattan Beach (city)
  15. Hollywood Walk of fame (attraction)
  16. Hollywood Sign (attraction)
  17. Mann's Chinese Theater (attraction)

Anthony from Los Angeles

The Hollywood Hills tour buses are a great way to see the Hollywood Hills and learn about the history from a guide and something the whole family can do. The buses usually have open roofs and you are elevated, so you get some really great views.

You should also check out any of the beaches from Malibu to Redondo Beach. They're all beautiful and are all slightly different from one another. Venice beach, Manhattan Beach and Hermosa Beach are going to be more densely populated and will have restaurants and bars and more attractions. If you're looking for something more low key, head towards Malibu and check out Paradise Cove, Topanga State Park or Broad Beach.

Fritzi from San Francisco

I like to think of LA as several geographies such as "beach cities" "downtown," "hills" and Pasadena. So when you visit the beach cities you can see Malibu, Santa Monica and Venice. While exploring the hills you can drive Mulhulland, visit the Gruffith Observatory or cruise the canyons. Downtown are many museums, Olvera street, Koreatown, the Bradbury bldg. Finally Pasadena one of my favorite parts of LA.. You have the awesome craftsman neighborhoods, the Gamble house, the Huntington and Norton Simon museums. Great walkable downtown. So much to see and do in LA. I am sure you will have a great time.

John from Los Angeles

Check out the Peterson Automotive Museum. Newly redesigned.

And the often overlooked LAPD Museum :)