Diane
Englewood (New Jersey)

Water Mill, Santa Fe

road trip

I am driving from santa fe, nm to water mill ny.  what are the best places to stop

This is about 2100 miles.  From Santa Fe for the first part of the trip you can either go to Indianapolis straight across Kansas via Kansas City (Kansas) or you can go through Amarillo, Tulsa and St. Louis.  I personally would prefer to avoid driving the length of Kansas

The second part of the trip from Columbus you have the choice of I-76 (Zanesville Harrisburg Philadelphia) or I-80 which goes up to Youngstown and crosses Pennsylvania farther north, and comes in north of New York City and takes the north side of Long Island to Water Mill  I like the Harrisburg area, but I prefer not to tangle with Philadelphia.  I think the I-80 route is a lot more rural and would be more relaxing as there aren't many big cities on that route.  There is going to be traffic on the Long Island section of either route.

1. Santa Fe (city)
  2. Indianapolis (city)
  3. Kansas City (Kansas) (city)
  4. Amarillo (city)
  5. Tulsa (city)
  6. St. Louis (city)
  7. Columbus (city)
  8. Zanesville (city)
  9. Harrisburg (city)
  10. Philadelphia (city)
  11. Youngstown (city)
  12. New York City (city)
  13. Water Mill (city)

This is a straight shot across the country. 40 to 44 to 70 etc. At least a 45 hour journey. So l would plan 5, 9 hour drives. Or 9, 5 hour drives. Use an app to make an rsvp after sundown.