Melanie

Melanie from Los Angeles asked

Is it possible to take public transportation from downtown D.C. to BWI Airport?

Washington, DC (District of Columbia)

Yes, but it isn't necesarily fast.  I avoid flying into BWI because it is far from DC.  The Metro system is extending lines to the airport, but it isn't finished yet.

For now, Metro DC does have a bus shuttle available that runs from the Greenbelt Metro Station to the  Baltimore Washington International Airport so you can take the green line from downtown D.C. to Greenbelt, then take the bus from there.

There is more information on the BWI and Metro websites that will update as the new metro line is ready.

Melanie
Brilliant -- thank you! I'll be staying right by the Woodley Park Metro, so this couldn't be easier. I mean, y'know, besides getting a ride. ;)

Tiffany
LOL. It should be easy. When in doubt, just ask. The Metro folks are used to tourists asking a lot of questions and they are generally friendly.

Tom
You can also take the Red Line on the Metro from Woodley Park to Union Station and then catch the MARC commuter train or Amtrak directly to BWI. MARC trains runs frequently on weekdays, and will begin running on weekends later this year. December, I think.

marilyn
Much easier, faster, and more pleasant to take the MARC train or Amtrak from Union Station. I wouldn't recommend the Metrobus at all - takes forever. Plus Amtrak has wifi (usually works). I love flying from BWI because it's so easy to get there via MARC/Amtrak, and I live in Virginia!

Renee from Washington, DC

There are two trains from Union Station to BWI: the Marc Train on the Penn Line and Amtrak. You must take a free shuttle bus from the train platform to the terminal. its a short ride to BWI but I'm not sure hoe long it takes when you add in the shuttle. BWI has information on their website.

Melanie
Thank you so much!

Michael from New York City

During the week, easy: Take the MARC train (google MARC train BWI for schedule) from Union Station. On weekends, a lot harder. There is a bus + metro combination, but takes about 2x as long as it should.

1. Union Station (attraction)
Judi from Solomons

Metro has an express bus that you can catch at Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI) to the Greenbelt Metro (subway) station.  This station is on the Green line that will take you into Washington, DC.  The bus runs frequently, but probably best for you to check the schedule online (www.wmata.com).