Ethan

Washington, DC

Good restaurants for kids in the D.C. area.

My wife and two boys and I are going to be in D.C. next month--any good restaurant recommendations? 

Huh.  I'd love to give you an exhaustive list.  Sadly, though I drag my kids to DC all the time, we don't eat out there a lot.

Do be prepared that in and around the National Mall and Capitol Building areas, there is nothing to eat outside of overpriced museum food and food truck junk food.  The cafeteria at the United States Capitol is decent and the food at the National Museum of the American Indian is really amazing, but both are $$.

Leave the mall and walk north.  Chinatown is full different restaurants in all price ranges.  I really like the Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant next to the Spy Museum (the Spy museum actually serves a good breakfast). They have a kids menu.  Really, once you get north of the mall, you'll run into things. 

Union Station is absolutely gorgeous to see and there are a lot of restaurants there as well with enough variety to make everyone happy.

I like BGR the Burger Joint near Dupont Circle, but it's small and can get crowded.

Ask around when you're there.  You'll find things.  Oh, and Così near the The White House next to the Eisenhower Executive Office Building is "fast food" sort of like Panera, but it's good and easy for kids.

1. National Mall (attraction)
  2. United States Capitol (attraction)
  3. BGR the Burger Joint (restaurant)
  4. The White House (attraction)
  5. National Museum of the American Indian (attraction)
  6. Eisenhower Executive Office Building (attraction)
  7. Così (restaurant)
  8. Union Station (attraction)
  9. Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant (attraction)