Beth
Washington, DC

Washington, DC

Where to go over long Martin Luther King weekend close to Washington DC

We are looking for a warm beach destination not too far from Washington DC for 4 days over Martin Luther king weekend.  Any suggestions?

Marquis from Washington, DC

The only place that I can think of that's relatively "close" and warm over MLK weekend is South Beach. Flights should be less than $250 and the travel time is about 2.5 hours.

1. South Beach (neighborhood)

Lynn from Washington, DC

It won't be warm enough for the beach near Washington in January. But you might want to visit Charlottesville, VA.

1. Charlottesville (city)

peggy from Washington, DC

It's hard to be guaranteed warm weather unless you head to the Caribbean or Mexico. Cancun may be worth looking at. There are non stop flights from Baltimore, most hotels are all-inclusive, it's not that far, very relaxing and beautiful beaches. Really a good 3 day get away. Otherwise, maybe check out Naples or of course Miami. No guarantee the weather will be warm but it will most likely be and the beaches are beautiful.

1. Cancun (attraction)
  2. Naples (city)
  3. Miami (city)

Pinay Flying from Maryland

I'm speaking out of experience but I'm in no way an expert of a weekend getaway from DC. I did have a great time though in these cities and was hoping I could spend a weekend there one of these days:

Alexandria (Virginia), Annapolis and Talbot County

It is rather cold I guess during the MLK weekend so not very sure if it's the right time to go there.

1. Alexandria (Virginia) (city)
  2. Annapolis (city)
  3. Talbot County (attraction)

Connie from Washington, DC

It depends how far you are willing to travel.  You can get to the Outer Banks of North Carolina or even Myrtle Beach, South Carolina in a reasonable drive from DC, but in February, they are not going to be very warm.  Try taking a cruise ship out of Baltimore to Bermuda.  There are several cruise lines operating out of Baltimore now.

1. Outer Banks (region)
  2. North Carolina (attraction)
  3. Myrtle Beach (city)
  4. South Carolina (attraction)
  5. Baltimore (attraction)
  6. Bermuda (country)