Ty
Milwaukee

Washington, DC

What are the most popular neighborhoods in D.C.?

First time to Washington D.C. - what are the best areas are to stay? I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what DC is like. Where do the locals tell their friends to stay when they visit? Thanks!

peggy from Washington, DC

I think when you stay in D.C., unless you have an unlimited budget, you need to rely on the Metro system, cabs, walking and the Washington Circulator. I would suggest Dupont Circle.

Not far from the monuments, The White House and other areas, there is a Metro stop there so it would be very easy to get around that way and there are plenty of restaurants and bars so staying in that area in the evening would be fun.You could take the Metro directly to the center of the National Mall as well as to so many other areas in the city. Look up the Washington Circulator. It is a bus that takes you to all the main city spots and it is only a $1.00. There is no Metro in Georgetown (Washington DC) but you can hop on the circulator in Dupont Circle and it will take you to Georgetown.

1. Dupont Circle (attraction)
  2. The White House (attraction)
  3. National Mall (attraction)
  4. Georgetown (Washington DC) (neighborhood)

Terry from Washington, DC

I generally recommend people stay at the Marriott Marquis Washington, DC. It's a brand new hotel and only a short walk from Chinatown as well as the new CityCenterDC where you will find shops and restaurants.  Another great location that I often recommend is The Donovan hotel at Thomas Cir NW.  This hotel is an easy walk from the McPherson Square Metro (Vermont Ave Entrance) (blue, orange, silver lines) as well as on to downtown.  There are also tons of restaurants up 14th street from the hotel.  You could also look at hotels just across the river in Arlington (Virginia).  There are a number of hotels near the Rosslyn Metro Station and it's a short cab ride or metro stop away from downtown. 

I would not recommend staying in Georgetown (Washington DC).

1. Marriott Marquis Washington, DC (hotel)
  2. CityCenterDC (attraction)
  3. The Donovan (hotel)
  4. Thomas Cir NW (attraction)
  5. McPherson Square Metro (Vermont Ave Entrance) (attraction)
  6. Arlington (Virginia) (city)
  7. Rosslyn Metro Station (attraction)
  8. Georgetown (Washington DC) (neighborhood)

Connie from Washington, DC

If you want a central location, then Dupont Cir NW or Chinatown are great areas. They have metro stations, and lots of bars and restaurants. Chinatown is near the Verizon Center, the National Portrait Gallery and the International Spy Museum. There aren't as many attractions near DuPont but there are still a ton of restaurants and it has good access to the rest of the city. As long as your hotel is within a block or two of a metro station, though, you are good. I would avoid hotels in Southeast or Northeast even though they might be cheaper. If you are looking for a better price, I would go to Arlington (Virginia) or Alexandria (Virginia) as long as you keep in close proximity to the metro.

1. Dupont Cir NW (attraction)
  2. Chinatown (restaurant)
  3. Verizon Center (attraction)
  4. National Portrait Gallery (attraction)
  5. International Spy Museum (attraction)
  6. Arlington (Virginia) (city)
  7. Alexandria (Virginia) (city)

Nars from Boston

Georgetown (Washington DC) is a cool DC neighborhood for dining, shopping and nightlife. Washington Marriott Georgetown seems to be a good option, under 2 miles from the National Mall area.

Have fun.

1. Georgetown (Washington DC) (neighborhood)
  2. Washington Marriott Georgetown (restaurant)
  3. National Mall (attraction)

Jessica from Washington, DC

If you want to be in the middle of the city, I would try a hotel around Chinatown. It is pretty central, has a ton of restaurants around it and it is not hard to get to the main attractions in DC. 

1. Chinatown (restaurant)

Margot from Washington, DC

If you want to be central to the city its probably best to stay downtown then venture out into the neighborhoods. The JW Marriott Hotel is in a good location downtown and easily accessible to the metro and lots of shopping. It's easy to get anywhere from there.

1. JW Marriott Hotel (hotel)