Emily

Emily from Chicago asked

What are the best things to eat, see and do as a local in Washington, DC?

Looking for great restaurants, bars, and daytime activities that locals love in DC! 

Washington, DC (District of Columbia)

Evanne from Chiang Mai, Thailand

Hit up farmers markets on the weekends. The Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market is great plus Union Market is a little out of the way and something most tourists might not get to see. Eat in the Shaw area at Thai-Xing or Southern Efficiency to mingle with locals.

1. Dupont Circle FRESHFARM Market (restaurant)
  2. Union Market (attraction)
  3. Thai-Xing (restaurant)
  4. Southern Efficiency (restaurant)
Brad from New Jersey

DC is actually really easy to plan for. I like to stay between the Adams Morgan neighborhood and the National Mall so you can walk or have a short cab ride to all the museums and monuments as well as all the bars and restaurants you would need. Adams Morgan has a long strip of bars with typically a younger crowd but there is still a mix. South of that on 14th/15th is the newer classier section of bars and restaurants like the church key which has a more refined menu but not full of snobbery and they have a huge beer and booze selection. I am younger so I stay at The Churchill Hotel right near Adams Morgan so I can walk to bars then take a brisk walk to the restaurants and mall area. There are other places to eat that are more walk in style like Nando's Peri-Peri chicken that is delicious. I could go on and on but you really won't have a problem finding things to do and places to eat.

1. Adams Morgan (attraction)
  2. National Mall (attraction)
  3. The Churchill Hotel (hotel)
  4. Nando's Peri-Peri (restaurant)