Jeremy
Bangor (Maine)

Washington, DC

Romantic dinner that won't break the bank in D.C.?

I'm headed to DC in October and I want to take my fiancee on a nice romantic dinner on her birthday. Any recommendations for a nice dinner. Budget is $$ to $$$. We may even dress up if it's required. She eats anything but seafood.

Jessica from Washington, DC

I have a few of my favorites and all of them are on the Washington's List of 100 Best Restaurants.  You will have an amazing meal at any of these places. Daikaya - Ramen - Izakaya is one of my absolute favorites. Not super fancy or expensive if you end up doing the ramen place but it is such an interesting place to go to! I have never been to Proof, but I have heard so many amazing things about it. 

Washingtonians List of 100 Best Restaurants

1. Daikaya - Ramen - Izakaya (restaurant)

Cristiane from Washington, DC

Hi Jeremy, 

What a lovely idea to take your fiancee on a romantic dinner for her birthday. My first suggestion is Iron Gate Restaurant in DuPont Circle. This restaurant offers a tavern-style feel away from the mainstream chains. Inside, you will find craft cocktails (the Nikolai is wonderfully delicious) and a menu serving Italian and Greek dishes. The patio is very romantic! Reservations highly recommended. (4 stars $$)

Another suggestion is Birch & Barley on 14th street. This restaurant is very famous for their beer variety (500+) but also for their seasonal cooking to ensure that the best most tasteful ingredients are being used. The chef and the pastry chef are husband and wife! Love is in the air in this place from the kitchen to the decoration.  They serve American inspired dishes. (4 stars $$)

I also recommend my favorite place here in DC - Founding Farmers. They serve mostly local farmed raised foods American style. Their chicken and waffle with mac and cheese is super popular. The drinks are made to perfection and the service is outstanding. Reservations are a must! (4 stars $$)

Finally, located outside DC in Old Town Alexandria you will find Landini Brothers Restaurant my favorite Italian restaurant. This place is so romantic and the food simply melts in your month. You will truly feel like you are in Tuscany! They offer a good selection of dishes and wines for pairing. After dinner you could take your fiancee for a nice walk by the waterfront and even set sail on a water taxi or river cruise. (4 stars $$$)

1. Iron Gate Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Birch & Barley (restaurant)
  3. Founding Farmers (restaurant)
  4. Old Town Alexandria (attraction)
  5. Landini Brothers Restaurant (restaurant)

Faheem from Washington, DC

I haven't been, but others have said Little Fountain Cafeis affordable and worth it for a romantic evening.  I would also go to Thai-Xing, but you have to be OK with a set menu and willing to sit in what would otherwise be someone else's living room (it's still pretty cool).  In Petworth, go to Crane & Turtle.  The food is awesome

1. Little Fountain Cafe (restaurant)
  2. Thai-Xing (restaurant)
  3. Crane & Turtle (restaurant)

Margot from Washington, DC

Co Co. Sala is a nice place and it has a cool vibe...menu items are created around chocolate (like the chocolate covered bacon mac and cheese) and most of the food is served via small plates so you can try lots of different things. They also have a unique drink menu.

1. Co Co. Sala (attraction)