Katie from Los Angeles asked

Best free things to do in Washington, DC?

I'm going to be in Washington, DC next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Washington, DC

Cristiane from Washington, DC

Hi Katie, 

Glad to hear you are coming to the coolest city in America! The National Mall has many museums and land marks which are all free. I suggest that you look into Free Tours by Foot and choose one (or more) of the many free tours they offer - the night tour is particular interesting and very informative. If you enjoy live music, the National Gallery of Art has a "Jazz in the Garden" series with free live concerts on Friday (arrive early if you can). Also, the Millennium Stage at The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts hosts free events everyday always at 6 pm. Another free option is the National Zoological Park (seeing the pandas is a must!). If you can, check out DC's most famous neighborhoods including Georgetown (Washington DC),Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan.  To get around, I recommend walking or using bike share. Another option for transportation is the DC Circulator bus - very convenient and only costs $1. For a place to stay, Airbnb is a good choice if you want to save money and experience DC with the convenience of walking to attractions. I hope my suggestions help you plan your trip. 

Have a great time! 

Cristiane 

Ruth from Washington, DC

There are a number of great things to do for free in DC. A fun one is there is Jazz in the Sculpture gardens in the National Gallery of Arton Friday evenings. 

Polly from Washington, DC

Check out the Smithsonian museums on the mall.  They are all amazing and free.

R from Fredericksburg

Faheem from Washington, DC

If you are willing to cross the bridge from Georgetown into Rosslyn, the Rosslyn BiD has free Thursday concerts and outdoor movies on Friday's in Freedom Park

1. Freedom Park (attraction)
Conor from Washington, DC

Hey Katie,

You're in luck - almost all of the Smithsonian Museums are free admission. Here's a link for more info: http://www.si.edu/Museums

Conor

1. Smithsonian (attraction)