Dee

Walt Disney World, Orlando

Solo trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando- need hotel recommendations?

Hi, I'm a non-driving single woman planning a 3 to 4 night solo trip to Walt Disney World this August and I would like some hotel suggestions. 

I'm looking for a nice, safe, hotel that provides easy access to the parks and restaurants. But that is also good for adults by offering a lounge, bar or nighttime entertainment at the hotel or at least nearby. I like to pay no more than $200/night. However, I would pay more for the right property. My style is modern/contemporary but this is low on the list of requirements. While in Disney I plan on visiting the areas that appeal to adults i.e Epcot, Downtown Disney and the shopping outlets etc.

Suggestions on the best areas to stay are welcome.

So where would you stay if you were traveling solo to Disney?

Thanks

Andrea from Charlottesville

Staying at the resort will make it easier to get around to all that you wish to do.  Adding the nightlife, I would suggest staying at the Boardwalk area.  The Swan and Dolphin hotels seem to have great specials at times.  They are also between the International Gateway of Epcot and Hollywood Studios.  At night there is entertainment on the boardwalk, as well as restaurants with lounges, including Jellyrolls, a dueling piano bar.  Enjoy the trip.

Jan from Ohio

We regularly stay at the Boardwalk Villas.  However, you cannot go wrong with any hotels in this area (Yacht/Beach Club, Swan and Dolphin Hotels).  You have transportation directly from the Orlando International Airport using Disney's Magical Express (no need to rent a car).  Great selection of restaurants on the Boardwalk or across the Lagoon at the Yacht & Beach Clubs.  You have boat or walking access to both Epcot Resorts Blvd and Disney's Hollywood Studios .  Disney provides bus transportation to all it's theme parks, water parks and Downtown Disney areas.  On our most recent trip Mar/2015, we did venture off Disney property to Universal CityWalk and this was approximately a $40 taxi ride.  However, the outlet malls are not that far out, so approximately $20-$30 per trip.  Hope this helps.

1. Orlando International Airport (attraction)
  2. Epcot Resorts Blvd (attraction)
  3. Disney's Hollywood Studios (attraction)
  4. Universal CityWalk (attraction)

Jonathan from Niskayuna, New York

1. Four Seasons Resort Palm Beach (hotel)

Jeremi from Lafayette

Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside has been my family's favorite Disney resort for a long time.  It doesn't fit with your style preference, but it's just such a great place to stay.  I love the atmosphere.  I also checked the rates for a random weekend in August, and it was $196/night.

There are also the advantages transportation-wise of staying at a Disney resort.  Disney's Magical Express service will bring you from the airport to your hotel and back, as well as bringing your luggage straight to your room.  While on the Disney property, you have free access to transportation to all the parks and resorts, including a boat that goes from Riverside to Downtown Disney.

1. Disney's Port Orleans Resort - Riverside (hotel)
  2. Downtown Disney (attraction)

Tina from Syracuse

I usually recommend staying on Disney property; however, given your parameters, I would recommend the Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa. It is across the street from Downtown Disney, and has great rates. They offer a shuttle service for the Disney Parks as well. I have stayed there many times with my family and love the convenience of the restaurants and entertainment at Downtown Disney all in walking distance. Have a great trip!

1. Buena Vista Palace Hotel & Spa (hotel)
  2. Downtown Disney (attraction)