Laura
Honolulu

Waikiki

What is hiding in Waikiki?!

While I don't want to come off as complaining about the coconuts in paradise, I need some help finding love for my current home, Waikiki, Hawaii.  I have lived on other parts of Oahu before, but now I am truly in Town and am feeling a bit overwhelmed with the constant noise of drunk college kids walking by my door every night, the many many homeless people pissing on my porch, the garbage smell.  I think I'm just feeling a little frustrated and would love some suggestions for things I am not taking full advantage of here.  There are lots of tiny places and side streets that are a great mix of the new and the old Waikiki, so I have to be missing out on something!  

I love love love to eat anything, I'm on the beach as much as possible, and I'm more of an outdoorsy person.  I love my local bars (shout out to Home Bar, Legends) and definitely enjoy a great beer or cocktail or 5 :) (Brew'd, Tropics, and Real are pretty good for those things).  I know there are lots of things Downtown or Kaimuki, but I really want to find some real love for Waikiki!  I'm open to just about anything, but with one caveat: I don't have a car!  

Thanks for your help!  ALO)(A.

Carole from Paris

Hello!

There are many things to love about Waikiki, though the constant noise can be overwhelming. Here are a few favorites of mine, which I hope you'll enjoy too:

- walking distance from the beach! Can't beat that and the amazing sunrise and sunsets

- Friday night fireworks from the beach in front of the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort (if you want to splurge, you also get an amazing view with cocktails from the Trump International Hotel as well)

- Sunday night movie on the beach (I think it is only once a month?), get there early to reserve your spot!

- Lewers St for Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQGenius Lounge Sake Bar & Grill and Moose McGillycuddy's

-For breakfast, though a bit pricy and there can be a line but it is very cute and delicious: Cream Pot

- Arancino for their squid ink pasta!

Hope you find your favorite spots in Waiks too!

1. Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort (hotel)
  2. Trump International Hotel (hotel)
  3. Lewers St (attraction)
  4. Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ (restaurant)
  5. Genius Lounge Sake Bar & Grill (restaurant)
  6. Moose McGillycuddy's (restaurant)
  7. Cream Pot (restaurant)
  8. Arancino (restaurant)