Lesley
Toronto

Volcán Arenal, Arenal, Nicaragua

Is Nicaragua worth visiting on a day trip from Arenal?

Byron from Granada (Nicaragua)

Hi Lesley.

From Arenal Volcano is almost about 3.5 hours just to the Border Peñas Blancasplus another hour at migration office and another 1.5 hours to Granada (Nicaragua) so we talking about 6 hours ride that mean you only going to scratch a bit of Granada or any other place that you will go and way back so my recommendation will be at least to Stay one night in Granada and see the city, the Islands and Masaya active Volcano, you won't regret have a great day and if need some help there are some Local fellows that might help you http://golocalnicaragua.wix.com/nicaragua.

Have a great day.

1. Arenal Volcano (attraction)
  2. Peñas Blancas (city)
  3. Granada (Nicaragua) (city)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Lesley!  Byron is exactly corerect.  Not worth it and really not feasible.  Do you have an itinerary for Arenal/La Fortuna yet.  I'm certain I could come up with a number of ideas to fill a day in, and around, the area. Let me know if I can be of assistance and safe travels!

Allan from Panama City, Florida

We spent a month in CR a year ago, as we drove around the country it seemed locals were hesitant to give us suggestions in Nicaragua. They said Panama was fine but Nicaragua was a bit more dangerous. I know it's a big surfing destination, google around for surf spots, they're probably more frequented by tourists and probably safer.

Mobile