Rob
Moergestel

Vietnam

What are the highlights of Vietnam?

What are the highlight / must see places in Vietnam?

I loved Hanoi for its food, its activity, its museums and its very cool Red River Runners 10k and half-marathon! My favorite foods were cha ca ha noi and bun cha ha noi, which are pretty rare in the US. I also love how you can go from the narrow-street mayhem of the Old Quarter to very wide, European-style boulevards.

Sa Pa District was also a revelation. We were there in November, when it was very rainy, foggy and chilly. You just have to see it. If you're a hiker, I recommend taking one of the 3-day homestay trips. The hiking isn't great, but it's more of a cultural thing. I wrote a pretty long piece for another website that will give you some details.

The Cu Chi Tunnels are also amazing - not so much for the tunnels, but for the hardship they represent. People lived in these with an incredible survive-and-endure mindset. Incredible. Here's my blog post about it.

Here's another blog post that's kind of general about travel in Vietnam.

1. Sa Pa District (attraction)

Teddy from New City, New York

I suggest you Halong Bay Vietnam, Hoi An, Huệ Đăng,Ho Chi Minh City, Phu Quoc, Sa Pa... They are so beautiful and wonderful .

1. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  2. Hoi An (city)
  3. Huệ Đăng (attraction)
  4. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  5. Phu Quoc (city)
  6. Sa Pa (city)

Karl from Ho Chi Minh City

Not mentioned yet but a few very cool places to go if you like nature and wildlife Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park. This area has possibly the third largest cave in the world and what may be the largest cave in the world.

Cycling or motorbike from Huett. Lăng CôHoi An over the Đèo Hải Vân is pretty spectacular. Sapa is also extremely beautiful but quite touristy. 

In the south you can kayak in the Can Gio Mangrove Biosphere Reserve which is quite beautiful if you like interesting natural areas. 

Also, if you're looking for something a little different than the standard city tours ect. check out this company http://www.bloom-microventures.org/vietnam/ I've working in travel for a long time and this company is really doing something cool to help people and drive positive sustainable tourism in Vietnam (which needs it).

I found a trip report from an amateur wildlife photographer,  to be very factual and useful for me and why not pay it forward. It's from 2012 but the info still relevant. http://www.cokesmithphototravel.com/viet-nam-wildlife-expedition.html

1. Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park (attraction)
  2. Hue (city)
  3. tt. Lăng Cô (attraction)
  4. Hoi An (city)
  5. Đèo Hải Vân (attraction)
  6. Can Gio Mangrove Biosphere Reserve (attraction)

Cherry from Australia

About Vietnam, highlights are:Yummy food :), Friendly people, Great culture, beautiful landscapes... 

Some place you should not miss out: Hanoi capital, Halong Bay Vietnam, Hoi An, Da Nang, Ho Chi Minh City...

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  3. Hoi An (city)
  4. Da Nang (city)
  5. Ho Chi Minh City (city)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I went on january and visited what I believe are the most famous places and I loved them all. I also loved the food. 

Ho Chi Minh City, a vibrant and chaotic city, Hoi An, a charming ancient village, Hanoi, even more hectic and chaotic than Ho Chi Minh but also fun, Halong Bay Vietnam, a true wonder of nature, and Sa Pa District, a wonderful spot among the mountains with beautiful people. 

We did all that in 9 days. 

1. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  2. Hoi An (city)
  3. Hanoi (city)
  4. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  5. Sa Pa District (attraction)

Nguyen from Hanoi, Vietnam

It depends on how many days you have in Vietnam, some famous places as Hanoi, Sa Pả, Halong Bay Vietnam, Hoi AnMekong Delta

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Sa Pả (attraction)
  3. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  4. Hoi An (city)
  5. Mekong Delta (region)