Hannah
Portland

Vietnam, Thailand

Suggestions on Visiting Vietnam from Thailand?

Hi Friends,

I'll be on my honeymoon in Thailand from November 1st - November 21st and we're toying with the idea of visiting Vietnam during this stretch. My questions are:

1. Getting there - while looking in the US at flights from Thailand to Vietnam result in $1,000 flights. Is it really that expensive to travel there? If not, when and where did you book and how much did it cost?
  2. Where to go - best city(ies) to visit that won't add a ton of travel days.
  3. Anything else we need to know about traveling in Vietnam?

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions!

Cheers,

Hannah

Alex from Ranau

Hi Hannah, 

1. Check out AirAsia for cheap flights all over Southeast Asia. Also Hipmunk.com is a good resource for checking out other airlines. It's currently showing prices as low as $162 for Bangkok to Hanoi. $1000 is an insane amount to pay for regional flights.

2. I loved Hanoi, Hoi An, and Hue and didn't like Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City). It depends on what you are into and what you are looking for. I found Hanoi to be a much prettier city. Hoi An had fantastic food and a beautiful beach, and was much smaller and laid back. Vietnam is long, and travel can eat up your time, but there are also cheap flights if you want to jump around. But, I'd stick to one region to maximize your time. 

3. Eat everything you see. The food in Vietnam is amazing, and the very best of it is found at tiny street stalls. 

2. Hanoi (city)
  3. Hoi An (city)
  4. Hue (city)
  5. Ho Chi Minh City (city)