Olivia

Olivia from Los Angeles asked

Motorbike Routes? Thinking Hoi An - Hanoi?

My boyfriend and I will be in Vietnam for three weeks. We are meeting friends in Hanoi the last week so we have two weeks to explore. We want to rent/buy motorbikes and travel on our own for at least a week. Since we don't have enough to do the entire length from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi I was think about flying from HCM up about half way and getting a bike there. Has any had any experience with this? Recommendations on where to start etc? Once we make it up to Hanoi we will sell the bikes and take a train to explore SaPa As well as ha long Bay. I would appreciate any advice on this or Vietnam in general!

Vietnam

Naccy

I am a bit anxious about the road crowded with people in Vietnam so I am not interested in exploring from North to South by motorbike. Sa Pa is a good place to visit, especially if you come here in mid-September - early October.

1. Vietnam (attraction)
  2. Sa Pa (city)
Diep from Thuy Anh, Thái Bình, Vietnam

You can buy a motorbike in Hanoi Old Quarter. From Hanoi to Sa Pa District, you should book night train to transfer which is safer than night bus

1. Hanoi Old Quarter (attraction)
  2. Sa Pa District (attraction)

If I were you, then I would rather take the trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Nang and then sell the bikes and fly from there.

That bit of coastline is generally les industrialised than the northern part and you have better facilities in terms of accommodation and so, on the southern route.

1. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  2. Da Nang (city)

Mobile