Meghan
Melbourne

Vietnam, Ho Chi Minh City, Hoi An, Hanoi

Best off beaten path of activities to do in Vietnam?

I haven't been to Vietnam before and I sure as hell am excited! 

passing Ho Chi Minh City, Hoi an, hanoi. 

Any must visit places in Vietnam not mentioned?

Claude from France

Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City

in Ho Chi Minh you have several places to see :
The Bến Thành Market, Main Post Office built by Eiffel , tthe streets Dong Khoi Street , Nguyen Hue Flower Boulevard , Ly Tong Tru and  Le Thanh Ton St. . The Chinese market Ben Thanh. KEEP attention in Cho Lon many thiefs .
Finally the  Notre Dame Cathedraland the  Saigon River.
Restaurants:  BBQ Garden

Cai Be Floating Market

From Ho Chi Minh City, you can go to the Mekong Delta and see CAI BE and its floating market. Boat still up Can Tho , where there you will find many restaurants along the river. Beware of mosquitoes! They are wicked.  

Nha Trang

NHA TRANG : Seaside town. Restaurants, Le Petite Bistro, the Good Morning Vietnamespecially Lạc Cảnh Restaurant
See Long Son Pagoda

Hue

Then you can go to Hue and its Imperial Citadel and The Perfume river and along the river, the beautiful mausoleums. ( Thien Mu Pagoda , and Tu Dúc Tomb, Minh Mang Emperor's Tomb )
You can lunch at the 52
Otherwise try dinner at Madame Hoang ( a French but also English-speaking guide ).

Hoi An

Then you can go to HOI AN .The night is fabulous. You should see the little Japanese bridge , the market and take a ride up to the sea at Cua Dai Beach
Restaurants: Tam Tam Cafe, White Marble, Trung Bac, Brother Cafe , Cargo Club, Streets Restaurant Café , The Mermaid.

Hanoi

HOI AN up to HANOI :
See Hoan Kiem Lake Lake , The  Ngoc Son Temple , the big lake and pagodas  Tran Quoc Pagoda , Quán Thánh Pagoda.
Walking north of the city in the streets and have dinner at Little Hanoi, very good and  not expensive choice , the Bò Tùng Xẻo at  Chè múc Lý Tự Trọng(excellent BBQ).

LAO CAI AND SAPA to see ethnic minorities : The BLACK HMONG the ZAIN and ZAO RED

Bon voyage Megan. I'm sorry for my English language.Please don't pay attention of this.thanks

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  3. Bến Thành Market (attraction)
  4. Dong Khoi Street (attraction)
  5. Nguyen Hue Flower Boulevard (attraction)
  6. Le Thanh Ton St. (attraction)
  7. Cho Lon (attraction)
  8. Notre Dame Cathedral (attraction)
  9. Saigon River (hotel)
  10. BBQ Garden (attraction)
  11. Cai Be Floating Market (attraction)
  12. Can Tho (state)
  13. Le Petite Bistro (restaurant)
  14. Good Morning Vietnam (restaurant)
  15. Lạc Cảnh Restaurant (restaurant)
  16. Long Son Pagoda (attraction)
  17. The Perfume river (attraction)
  18. Thien Mu Pagoda (attraction)
  19. Tu Dúc Tomb (attraction)
  20. Minh Mang Emperor's Tomb (attraction)
  21. Hoi An (city)
  22. Cua Dai Beach (attraction)
  23. Tam Tam Cafe (attraction)
  24. White Marble (attraction)
  25. Trung Bac (attraction)
  26. Brother Cafe (restaurant)
  27. Cargo Club (restaurant)
  28. Streets Restaurant Café (attraction)
  29. The Mermaid (attraction)
  30. Hanoi (city)
  31. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)
  32. Ngoc Son Temple (attraction)
  33. Tran Quoc Pagoda (attraction)
  34. Quán Thánh Pagoda (attraction)
  35. Little Hanoi (attraction)
  36. Bò Tùng Xẻo (restaurant)
  37. Chè múc Lý Tự Trọng (restaurant)
  38. Sa Pa (city)
  39. Nha Trang (city)
  40. Hue (city)

Louis from Los Angeles

Mekong Delta  is where it is at!  You can book a hotel and boat tour in advance or have the fun of wheeling and dealing once you are there.  Either way things are cheap.  I think I paid $50 per night for a 5 star hotel.  Be sure you get to check out the floating markets on whatever tour you do, it's one of the most memorable things I did while I was there, besides shooting an AK 47 at the Cu Chi Tunnel which you should also do, even though it's highly touristy, it's a must see place near Ho Chi Minh City.  

I also would recommend flying out to the island of Phu Quoc, flights are cheap even if you book at the last minute.  I didn't have the chance to go there myself :( but two of my best friends could not stop raving about it after there trip there, and not just because the name is super fun to say!

Basically there is not much you can do wrong in Vietnam, it is a great place with great people and wonderful tropical scenery.  My one word of caution would be about the Taxis, make sure you only use clearly marked and reputable branded Taxis.  It never happened to me but I heard a few too many accounts of people getting robbed by Taser at the end of their ride.  I also heard a lot about peoples cell phones getting swiped including a US ambassador I talked to who was actually more worried about the carefully written email he was about to send before the phone got swiped, but that's a story for another time. Just be aware and be careful.  Most of the people are amazingly wonderful and they will actually be the first to warn you about theft and things, but income levels are low and when an iPhone is about a years salary, well you can understand the problem.

Regardless, you definitely picked one of the best places in the world to visit (second only to Hawaii in my opinion) and really no-matter what you end up doing, don't sweat the details and you are going to have a great time!

1. Mekong Delta (region)
  2. Cu Chi Tunnel (attraction)
  3. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  4. Phu Quoc (attraction)

Esther from Tel Aviv

South Vietnam is much more pleasant than the North - the people are just sooo much nicer and there's nothing quite like a boat trip down the Mekong  Song Xanh Boat Ride on Mekong Delta and a bicycle trek through the local villages. When you do go north, besides a trek to Sapa and a stay with locals (I don't think there is any other place to stay), don't miss out on Halong Bay ( Cruise Halong) - it's not for nothing that it's a world Heritage site. Another great city to visit is Hue - great local art and artists. Whatever you  do, mix with the locals, share your stories - they are great people.

1. Song Xanh Boat Ride on Mekong Delta (attraction)
  2. Cruise Halong (attraction)
  3. Hue (city)

Louis from Chicago

You can stop in Da Nang (near Hoi An) for great beaches and fresh seafood (and non touristy prices).  If you are traveling by train or bus, you'll pass Nha Trang  and Hue too.  Nha Trang has trekking inland and watersports on the ocean.  Hue has an ancient city and some really interesting cuisine.  And be sure to visit the night markets when you are in Hoi An, the atmosphere is amazing.    

1. Da Nang (city)
  2. Hoi An (city)
  3. Nha Trang (city)
  4. Hue (city)

Esther from Tel Aviv

sure, from the bay or from the hotels. Actually, we did all our bookings from wherever we were. The only piece we booked in advance were the hotels. Because of a mix-up we even had to book some of the local flights on the spot - and they turned out cheaper :) Always a good thing

Daniel from London

From Hanoi you must take a few days and go trekking in Sa Pa. You can meet women from the H'mong tribe and live in their villages. An incredible experience!

There's a lot of amazing things along the coast; Mui Ne is beautiful and you can go motorcross riding in the desert, a Ha Long Bay sunset boat cruise is a must, a Mekong Delta canoe ride...

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Sa Pa (city)
  3. Mui Ne (city)
  4. Ha Long Bay (region)
  5. Mekong Delta (region)

Đồng from Hanoi, Vietnam

Coming to the northern mountains to explore the spectacular natural scenery, the beautiful little village peaceful with | mai chau lodge and sapa trekking

Amanda from Washington, DC

About half way between Ho Chi Minh City and Nha Trang is a fishing village called Phan Thiet with a beach community called Mui Ne. Phan Thiet has an old quarter with historical houses in semi ruin that are quite beautiful, there are also some small Cham ruins around. Mui Ne has a lot of resorts from cheap hostels to private bungalows and good seafood. 

1. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  2. Nha Trang (city)
  3. Phan Thiet (city)
  4. Mui Ne (city)

Teddy from New City, New York

There are many interesting places in Vietnam.

If you'd love to relax . I suggest you go to Nha Trang, Phu QuocHạ Long Bay

If you'd love to explore . I think Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta Toursand Sapang Palay. it would great adventure .

If you'd love to know about culture . I think you should go to HueHoi An

Hope that you would true chosen.

Cheer.

1. Nha Trang (city)
  2. Phu Quoc (city)
  3. Hạ Long Bay (attraction)
  4. Hanoi (city)
  5. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  6. Mekong Delta Tours (attraction)
  7. Sapang Palay (neighborhood)
  8. Hue (city)
  9. Hoi An (city)

Sophia from Hoi An

To fully explore Viet Nam, you should go to some rural villages in the cities as Tra que vegetable villages, Cam Thanh Village, Thanh Ha Village, Cam Kim (to get there, you need to go by boat), Thanh Hai fishing village (It's not touched by the tourism).

The best time to visit these villages is in the early morning or late afternoon for a marvelous sunset. If you want to know how to get there, check this link: https://www.justgola.com/blog/my-joyful-journey-around-rural-areas-of-hoi-an-198 

Bình from Uông Bí

A lot of places. But i want to go  Phu Quoc hoặc  Con Dao Island or  Đảo Cô Tô

1. Phu Quoc (attraction)
  2. Con Dao Island (island)
  3. Đảo Cô Tô (attraction)

Baljinder from Singapore

Grab a slice of village life by taking the northeastern highway out of Hanoi. Spent the night overlooking the paddy fields in Mai Châu before setting off to Xôi Điện Biên Phủ. From DBP the road leads into the highlands and the mountains into Sa Pa.

1. Mai Châu (attraction)
  2. Sa Pa (city)
  3. Xôi Điện Biên Phủ (restaurant)

Vu

You should visit  Da Lat for small beautiful city inside a great valley, then go down to Nha Trangto explore most beautiful beach city in Viet Nam. 

1. Nha Trang (city)
  2. Da Lat (city)