Andy
Horsham (England)

Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos

25th Anniversary trip to Indochina

My wife and I are planning a trip to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos this year to celebrate our 25th anniversary.

What would members recommend as places to visit / things to do? We're interested in local culture and food, but not very interested in conflict history and politics.

Trip is about 3 weeks, and traveling in November 2015.

Julian from Australia

For wedding celebration and your interests, in Vietnam, you are strongly recommended to visit Hanoi, Halong Bay Vietnam, Sa Pa (in 1 week). For Halong bay, you should book a cruise and spend 1 night on board, it'll be very romantic.

For Laos: best place to visit is Luang Prabang (spend sunset time at Mekong River bank or Mount. Phousi - you will never forget that moment.

For Cambodia: Angkor Wat is number 1! For relaxation, you can go to Sihanoukville with a nice beach and delicious sea-food. 

I can recommend you a more detailed itinerary if you want because I've travel through 3 countries. 

Hope this is useful!

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. Hanoi (city)
  3. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  4. Sa Pa (city)
  5. Laos (country)
  6. Luang Prabang (city)
  7. Mekong River (attraction)
  8. Mount. Phousi (attraction)
  9. Cambodia (country)
  10. Angkor Wat (attraction)
  11. Sihanoukville (city)

Kenn from Bayside

My husband and I are leaving shortly for a seven week trip to SE Asia including a return trip to Vietnam amongst other places. Hanoi, Halong Bay Vietnam, Hue, Hoi An and Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) are must see places.  We look forwand to revisiting them in addition to visiting Nha Trang and Da Lat for the first time.  

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. Hanoi (city)
  3. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  4. Hue (city)
  5. Hoi An (city)
  6. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  7. Nha Trang (city)
  8. Da Lat (city)

November is one of the best moths to travel Vietnam so this is a good choice.

You might wanna start your trip in Hanoi and then visit Sa Pa where you have many ethnic tribes and then move on to Hạ Long Bay.

After that you could fly or train it down to the old royal city of Hue and after that move on to the small pretty town of Hoi An from where it's also easy to organise day trips to My Son Sanctuary

In sotherne Vietnam I would really recommend a trip with Mekong Eyes Cruise. The trips they make around the Mekong Delta are really interesting and relaxing at the same time.

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Sa Pa (city)
  3. Hạ Long Bay (attraction)
  4. Hue (city)
  5. Hoi An (city)
  6. My Son Sanctuary (attraction)
  7. Mekong Eyes Cruise (attraction)

Try one of the homestay trips out of Sapa, just north of Lao Cai. They're pretty fascinating. You hike around for a few days in the tribal areas, staying with people from the Red Dzao and Black Hmong tribes.

If you want food, just stay in downtown Hanoi and visit a different street each day in the Old Town area. The streets are named after the different items the stores sell on that street. Some hotels have guidebooks that break it down for you. Dish to watch for: Cha ca la vong, aka Cha ca ha noi. It's delicious, and nearly impossible to find in the US.

And make some time to check out the Ciputra area. It's kind of cool and surprising.

1. Lao Cai (city)
  2. Ciputra (attraction)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I just came from sotheast asia last week, I've been in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Malasia. 

In Vietnam I visited Ho Chi Minh CityHoi An Ancient TownHanoiHalong Bay Vietnam and Sa Pa and I think that way I now have a good knowledge of the country eventhough I stayed very little time in each destination. 

The major cities are crazy, traffic is a mess, you'll be surrounded by bikes, there are no traffic lights, they do everything on the street... it's awsome.

Hoi An is charming, choose a boutique hotel or something similar there to fully enjoy your visit and prepare yourself for some great food and lots of shopping.

Halong Bay is simply wonderful, it must be one of the most beautiful places in the world, you have to book a cruise for a 2 days-1 night or 3 days-2 nigths tour. I took the  Glory Premium Cruises which was really great. 

And if you go to Sa Pa you'll have the oportunity to know the local tribes besides the amazing landscape. 

The food is wonderful everywhere and if you like coffee you should try the vietnamese iced coffee, black with sweet milk or with yogurt, it's incredible. 

1. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  2. Hoi An Ancient Town (attraction)
  3. Hanoi (city)
  4. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  5. Sa Pa (city)
  6. Glory Premium Cruises (attraction)