Sung Yoon

Vietnam

2 weeks in Vietnam...Recommended route?

I'm planning to spend 2 weeks in Vietnam. Ho Chi Min City - Hoi An- Dong Hoi- Hanoi or HaLong Bay.... is my planned route. Does this make sense? Can anyone recommend me a plan that I could spend my 2 weeks in Vietnam a memorable one? My first time in Vietnam. I'm in the 20s, Back Packing. Any useful apps that I can use to get bus/train info for the above routes? 

Evanne from Chiang Mai, Thailand

I just went to Vietnam for the first time and spent two weeks there. You're going to love it!! We started in the north, but here is our itinerary:

Hanoi 2 nights

2 nights on a boat in Halong Bay Vietnam (I would try to remain flexible for this and only spend one night if the weather isn't great.) We used Glory Cruises and I would recommend them

Hue

Hoi An Our favorite spot!! Don't pass this over, there is so much to do. Also, take a trip to Cham island Tours 

Flight to Ho Chi Minh City with an overnight trip to Can Tho

Have fun! You can read more about our Vietnam trip on my blog!

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)
  3. Glory Cruises (attraction)
  4. Hue (city)
  5. Hoi An (city)
  6. Cham island Tours (attraction)
  7. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  8. Can Tho (attraction)

Carole from Paris

Hello Sung Yoon,

You will have an amazing time in Vietnam! It is a great itinerary that you have there! Most travelers go from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh or from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi.

We were there for two weeks and traveled from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh. Our itinerary was:

- Hanoi and overnight on a boat in Halong Bay Vietnam

-Hue- Imperial City

-Hoi An one of our favorite stops in Vietnam, very charming and enjoyable stay. Try to get there during the full moon for the full moon festival!

- we stopped quickly in Nha Trang, along the coast where there are beaches.

-Da Lat for higher altitude and cooler temperatures, we only stayed a day and most nature activities are a bit out of Da Lat.

-Mui Ne for the sand dunes, beaches and seafood barbecue

- Ho Chi Minh City with an overnight in Can Tho to visit the floating markets at dawn on the Mekong Delta -- must do!

Some people we met recommended Sa Pa, northern Vietnam for great scenery and cooler climate. We didn't go to Doig Hoi but it sounds like a great city to visit!

For buses, you can search "Open Bus Tour Vietnam" where, if I recall correctly, you can either purchase all of your tickets from HCM to Hanoi (or vice versa) at once and at a cheaper cost than individually. We used it once and were pretty happy with it.

I've written all about our trip with pictures and travel tips, hotel recommendations etc. here: http://www.ooaworld.com/vietnam

Hope it helps and happy travels!!

1. Vietnam (attraction)
  2. Hue (city)
  3. Da Lat (attraction)

My husband and I just did 2 weeks in February.  It's perfectly enough time, although we exhausted ourselves just a bit by adding on Sapa.  Your itinerary seems perfectly feasible.  We started in the south (HCMC), then went to Hue (by flight), drove down to Hoi An (about 3 hours), up to Hanoi (by flight), side trip to Sapa, over to Halong Bay via Hanoi, then down to Phu Quoc for a little R&R.  If you had most of 2 days in HCMC and Hanoi, you will have plenty. If you can add Hue, I think you'll enjoy it as well.

I adored Hoi An, so I would spend more than the 2 days we spent there.  And Halong Bay Vietnam was breathtaking.  Know that it is a good 3-4 hours to get there from Hanoi, depending on how aggressive your driver is.

1. Hoi An (city)
  2. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)

I'm a big fan of Sapa ... and the homestays in there area. Great for a few days of hiking around and meeting people.

While you're in HCMC, be sure to check out the Cu Chi Tunnels. The best way to get there is by boat instead of the bus.

1. Cu Chi Tunnels (attraction)