Merris asked

11 days in Vietnam. Any advices?

I am a young girl from the US. I heard that US people will have free 30 days visa in Vietnam, it right?
I am going Vietnam 11 days alone for a gap year. I love adventure and travel to a new place with a budget. I searched on the net some famous places in Vietnam: Hanoi, Ninh Binh, Halong, Ho Chi Minh City, Hue, Hoian and Phu Quoc island or Mekong Delta.
My questions: 1. explore Son Doong cave alone, it's ok? and I have to spend how much time to explore the cave?
2. I am in a divided mind I should visit Phu Quoc island or Mekong Delta? Any advice?
Thanks

Vietnam

Hoàn

You dont have enought permission to explore Sơn Đoòng, because its limited people to come this place 

1. Sơn Đoòng (attraction)
Son from Hanoi, Vietnam

Both Phu Quoc Mekong Delta are worthwhile places to visit. It depends on your interest. Phu Quoc has nice beaches and ideal space to enjoy fresh atmosphere with many delicious seafood in Dinh Cau market. In Mekong Delta, you will have opportunities to discover floating markets and many other outstanding local cultures of the local people.

1. Phu Quoc (city)
Vânn
Highly recommend Phu Quoc Island!!! The beach and Vinpearl park are wonderful. If you want to learn more about the history, visiting Phu Quoc Prison is a good idea :-)

Arthur

Hi Merris. I'm Vietnamese and welcome you to visit our country.
First, of course you can explore Sơn Đoòng alone, but you know, it costs a lot of money and you must register before like a year to explore the cave. So I think you should change your plan.

Second, I think you should visit Phu Quoc island cause it's wonderful lanscape.

1. Sơn Đoòng (attraction)
  2. Phu Quoc (city)
Naccy

I like Mekong Delta very much. I have great experience when taking part in floating markets. It's busy and crowded. As I know, tourists are not allowed to explore Sơn Đoòng alone. Instead, you have to take a tour of a travel company. 

1. Sơn Đoòng (attraction)
Kathy

Choosing Phu Quoc island or Mekong delta depends on the number of days you intend to spend for.   If I were you, I would pick Phu Quoc island into my itinerary because of it's alluring  beaches and landscapes.

1. Phu Quoc (city)
Hana from La Canada

You should miss out Sơn Đồng cave and spend time to travel to other places. Mekong Delta is the ideal place for backpacker, You can stay at local person with cheap price and join floating market in the early morning (about 6AM). Personally, Vietnam Tour Booking sounds good which is quite famous in Hanoi, you can refer to other agencies to compare price and services if you book tour. If not, Vietnam is a safe country for travel alone but language barrier will trouble with you.

1. Sơn Đồng (attraction)
  2. Hanoi (city)
Azure from London, United Kingdom

I have the same idea with  some previous comments. It seems to be dangerous for girls to travel alone in adventure trip. You should take a tour or find an experienced guide before departing.

Naccy

Personally, I am interested in Mekong Delta. I like floating markets and simple daily life here. I took a lot of photos in Can Tho in the trip to Mekong river. Amazing experience!

1. Can Tho (attraction)
Nguyen from Hanoi, Vietnam
Now for US citizens they need to apply Visa for one year with stamp fee 135 USD, for visa on arrival letter you can apply from 25$-30$. Depend on each agent
Halong Bay is worth to visit in the north of VN.
You can not explore Sơn Đoòng alone, need to be booked in advance and i know that this tour is fully booked this year, need 6 - 7 days to visit this cave. 
Both Phu Quoc and mekong delta are worth to visit, If you arrive Ho Chi Minh City you can spend 2 days to visit Mekong Delta.

1. Sơn Đoòng (attraction)
  2. Phu Quoc (city)
  3. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
Diep from Thuy Anh, Thái Bình, Vietnam
Have you ever travel to Vietnam before? I am afraid that a young girl will get trouble when exploring Son Doong Cave cave alone. You should refer to tour agency.

1. Son Doong Cave (attraction)
Natasha
If you want provide comfortable tour, you can hire a car. It's really comfortable way. Such you can visit many places and spend good time here. You can choose car with any price for you. But you must remember that it is must be reliable company. When you will get your car and airport or bus station, and go to adventures. :)

It's quite easy to combine Phu Quoc and the Mekong delta, as they are next to each other. If you have 11 days and fly in and out of Ho Chi Minh City, the you should quite easily be able to visit both. I would skip northern Vietnam in that case though, if I were you. Northern Vietnam is nice too, but 11 days is simply not enough to properly see both places if you ask me. 

And for vietnamese visas, this site here is good, as you will most likely need a visa: www.vietnamvisa.org

1. Phu Quoc (city)