Cortney
Manhattan Beach

Victoria

Which luxury hotel should my husband and I stay at in August?

My husband and I are taking our first trip without our children and would love to stay in a beautiful and luxurious hotel or spa in Victoria, Canada.  We'll have a car, but would like the ability to walk places.... even if it's a long walk!  We're staying for 4 nights and our budget is $400 per night. A hotel with a really fantastic spa or great restaurant would be a plus.  Thanks so much!!!

Natasha

Hi Cortney,

I'm a former manager at various hotels/spas in the Victoria, BC area. Although it's still a hidden gem, the best spa/hotel/restaurant combo in the Victoria area is actually in Sidney, BC. It's called The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa. Although it's not in the downtown Victoria area, it's a short 30-minute drive into Victoria. Plus, the seaside town of Sidney is really quaint, charming, and full of boutique shops, cafes, and restaurants. The beaches are easy to access (unlike downtown Victoria) which makes it great for kids who want to hang out at the beach. The Sidney Pier's gym and spa are nicer than anything you'll find in the Victoria downtown area, with sweeping floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook the beautiful Gulf Islands. It's stunning! You won't find that view anywhere in Vic!

Their restaurant is also a five-star dining experience (also with a crazy view and no bad table in the joint!) but still caters to children and families. And if you're looking to whale watch while on the island, Sidney is actually where all the downtown Vic departures go...so it saves you the 30 minute windy boat ride and you get instant access to the whales! And if that's not selling you enough, you should also know that Sidney is a breezy five minutes from the Swartz Bay Ferry whereas Victoria is a 60-minute ride (thanks to the awful ferry traffic that will have you going at a snail pace).

While all of them continue on to Victoria, you can get off the highway in five minutes to go into Sidney. Then, when you want to check out Victoria, you can time it when the ferry traffic is over (ask the hotel front desk for the exact times to avoid!) and spend the day exploring before coming back to your charming seaside town. There is plenty of free parking available near the downtown core if you're up for walking for 5-10 minutes.

That said, if you're really hell-bent on downtown Vic, I would recommend checking out the Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa. But it's no where near as nice as The Sidney Pier.

One more thing...there are busses that take you into downtown Victoria from Sidney for just a few bucks. It takes much longer though -- about 1 hour.

1. The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa (hotel)
  2. Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa (hotel)

Gillian

I agree with Natasha - both The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa and Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort and Spa would be fabulous. Also Inn at Laurel Point is supposed to be very nice.