Valerie

Valerie from Los Angeles asked

What's the best neighborhood in Victoria for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Victoria and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Victoria is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. Budget is flexible, looking for the best bang for my buck. Thanks!

Victoria

Janet

If the budget allows you should definitely stay at  The Fairmont Empress. Great location and very traditional to the city.

1. The Fairmont Empress (restaurant)
Maria from Victoria

There are a several excellent waterfront hotels downtown Victoria, and loads of great places to eat within reasonable walking distance. Inn at Laurel Point  has the best waterfront location and the Empress Hotel  is just iconic and has recently had a major renovation. Favourite restaurants, Nourish Kitchen & Cafe and Agrius both serve fresh, local cuisine in a casual west coast unpretentious way.

1. Victoria (city)
  2. Inn at Laurel Point (hotel)
  3. Empress Hotel (restaurant)
  4. Nourish Kitchen & Cafe (restaurant)
  5. Agrius (restaurant)
karaline from Victoria

If you're looking for more of an experience, rather than just a hotel, I would recommend a bed and breakfast in James Bay or Rockland (trip advisor has a good list of the top B&Bs in town). Both areas are beautiful old neighbourhoods just outside of the downtown core, and many of the B&Bs themselves are in registered Victorian Heritage buildings. Both areas are any easy walk to downtown (keep in mind the entirety of the downtown core only takes about 15 min to walk across). You may also find yourself closer to some more unexpected tourist sights than if you were downtown (Fisherman's Wharf and Dallas Rd in James Bay, Abkhazi Garden and the governor generals manor in Rockland). As far as bang for your buck, they also will include a delicious breakfast (tea and crumpets anyone?).

Cheers

1. James Bay (attraction)
  2. Rockland (attraction)
  3. Fisherman's Wharf (attraction)
  4. Dallas Rd (attraction)
  5. Abkhazi Garden (attraction)
mya from Victoria

if you want to be in the heart of the city i would suggest the The Fairmont Empress. have a great trip

1. The Fairmont Empress (restaurant)
Sandra from Victoria

The best three star hotel to stay at in Victoria, B.C. Is Harbour Towers Hotel & Suites

It's right downtown and its with in walking distance to local shops and city bus routes as well. 

When you take the local bus you can take Victoria Trainsit and it also. Includes the double decker buses as well. So keep this in mind fellow travelers, you also can buy day passes for the buses as well just ask around where to pick up a day pass for the bus, this day pass also includes the city double decker busses! If you want to travel cheaper and have as well. I hope this helps anyone out who comes to Victoria! Have fun and safe travels my friends!