Shannon
South Carolina

Venice, Positano

Visit Venice or spend more time in Positano?

We are going to Italy for a week and a half. I've been debating keeping Venice on the list. My husband would rather not see it so we'd have less time on trains/traveling to each place. If we do see it, we would only go for a day. Is it worth seeing or should we spend more time in the Positano/Amalfi Coast area? We would do day trips to Sorrento, Capri, etc. Thanks! 

Ieva from Jurmala

Definitely spend some time in Venice! The history, the art, the architecture... the magical feeling of ancient times.. this city is one of a kind, really! You'll get lost in the labyrinths between the canals and tiny streets even with Google Maps, guaranteed! :D Don't miss out on St. Mark's Square, the cathedral is a wonder! And if you have more than 1 day, an absolute MUST is visiting the nearby islands which are 15-20mins by boat from the historical center. I was blown away when I discovered the islands! It feels like time travelling, like transferring to another Universe after only 15mins on a boat! Murano Island, Burano and Torcello Island are an absolute must-see for everyone visiting Venice. Especially Burano with the amazing colors (each house painted in a different color) and Torcello - a paradise-like island from where Venice actually originated. There's a 2000 years-old cathedral still there, ancient sculptures and fabulous restaurants with huge gardens and terraces covered in white silk canopies. Screensaver material in real life!!! Public transportation doesn't go to Torcello (which is awesome, cause it is about the only non-crowded area around Venice!) So you'll need a private boat lift, to get there. To avoid the rip-offs, I can suggest antlos.com to book a boat with skipper included in advance. You can book a gondola for a tour in the historical center there as well if you like! Beware, if you try to negotiate a boat ride live with the gondolieri, the price range can vary a lot ;) And last, but certainly not least - have a decent "aperitivo" with some Aperol Spritz! Enjoy! 

2. St. Mark's Square (attraction)
  3. Murano Island (attraction)
  4. Burano (island)
  5. Torcello Island (island)

Kristal from San Francisco

I stayed right above Positano and it was my favorite! I would skip Sorrento, it's very touristy and definitely make it out to Venice. It's magical and if you plan on staying there, we had a fantastic experience with Palazzo Tiepoletto. Right on the Canal - it was fantastic. Venice is a magical place and it's worth a look, I would definitely recommend it over Sorrento. 

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

Positano is my absolute favorite place in Italy.  Having said that, if you haven't been to Venice, you must go - three days would be ideal.  I have been several times and would go back in a minute.  

I spent a week last year in a villa in Sorrento at a cooking school - wonderful experience!  One of our field trips was to Caprino Veronese .  I was so excited to go there as I had never been.  What a disappointment! Very crowded and the shops were primarily upscale Italian clothing and leather places.  There are two towns on Capri - the larger Capri town and the smaller AnacapriAnacapri.  Much preferred Anacapri.

1. Positano (attraction)
  3. Sorrento (attraction)
  4. Caprino Veronese (city)
  5. Anacapri (city)

Jake from Los Angeles

Venice is the other side of Italy from Positano, so a one day trip might be rushed. Upon arrival in Venice, you will travel a bit on foot or by vaporetto (boat) to a hotel, unless you reserve close to the train station Piazzale Roma. If you are able, two days would allow you more time to enjoy it.

Even though Venice is completely touristy, I generally recommend it. I've been many times, studied Italian there, and can say that though it takes awhile to 'sink in' it can be worth it as there is no other city like Venice.

The other caveat is time of year. August is hot, humid and filled with tourists and mosquitos so the beach or an island might feel better. Late fall has less crowds, but can bring heavy rains, flooding or what the locals call "aqua alta." If the trip is spring then go, April in Venice is perfect.

If you prefer to less time on a train, Rome is close by and of course one of the world's great historical cities.

1. Piazzale Roma (attraction)

Meir from Tel Aviv

It very much depends on your temperament and how you love to spend your leisure time...

Venice is pompous, frightfully expensive and just about to same measure crowded... I do remember watching some footage on efforts Venice municipality is investing in creating negative marketing in order to stop the hoards invading the place during touristic season... So use your imagination to figure out the experience. 

Amalfi Coast with Positano located about just the middle of the way along the bay on the other hand, is a destination with 'leisure' written all over... Public transportion is VERY friendly and it saves you any headache of driving the spectacular yet quite dangerous curves along the cliffs cutting directly into the waters of the bay. Any of Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi Coast are a pleasure to visit or just stay at and enjoy your vacation (I'd suggest Positano or Amalfi). Staying there you can lazily decide what you want to do next day - have a trip to yet another gem (Like CapriAnacapriAmalfi...) or just bask in the sun, linger on the sweet beach of Positano...

SO... if it was my decision, it was by all means NaplesAmalfi Coast, leave Venice to the masses.

Post by Meir Jacob, founder of Trips4Photographers.  

2. Amalfi Coast (attraction)
  3. Positano (attraction)
  4. Sorrento (attraction)
  5. Capri (city)
  6. Anacapri (city)
  7. Amalfi (city)
  8. Naples (attraction)

Stuart from Redondo Beach

Three days in Venice, the remainder in Positano, etc. Can't imagine spending 10 days in Positano and environs.

2. Positano (attraction)

Oh yes!! And a day or two would be fine.