Suzette
Australia

Venice, Florence, Rome

Suggestions for Traveling between Venice, Florence and Rome?

Hello, we are a family of 4.  2 x 15 year old girls.  This is our first time to Italy. (we are on a cruise before this visiting the coast of Italy).  I have accommodation already booked for Venice 3 nights, Florence 2 nights and Rome 3 nights in that order in early July this year. I am deciding on transport between each city.  Maybe fast train from Venice to Florence then a private tour from Florence to Rome for a day trip to include some of Tuscany?  Maybe lunch at a winery, cheese tasting olive oil tasting etc?  I would appreciate your recommendations on trains.... 'do's and don'ts' and also area to visit between Florence and Rome and a Tour Guide?   Thank you! :) 

Alessandro from Parma, Italy

Hi Suzette, there are so many places and things to see in those cities so, since you are travelling with your daughters, I could simply suggest you to concentrate all your energies on discovering what they can offer. But since you asked for a daily experience in Tuscany I would absolutely suggest you to visit the Castello Nipozzano - Marchesi de' Frescobaldi which is less than 30 km far from the very centre of Florence. The Castle is the temple of one of the most famous and appreciated Tuscan wines of the world, because the Frescobaldi family is one of the most important wine producers of the entire Country. For example they have been the official wine suppliers for the wedding of the Royals William and Kate. I personally visited the Castle and I can assure you, they provide a super professional guided tour of the wine estate in English. Just go on the website and book your tour from Florence.

http://www.frescobaldi.it/en-us/home/estates/castellodinipozzano/visittheestate.aspx 

It is definitely worth a try.

Cheers!!

1. Tuscany (state)
  2. Castello Nipozzano - Marchesi de' Frescobaldi (attraction)

The train is the best way to travel from Venice to Florence. If you have a little time on the way I recommend a short visit to Modena Parmaand Bologna I love all three places and they tend not to be overrun with tourists. You can get a train connection from Bologna. Siena is a must - allow at least a half day. If you don't mind driving you could hire a car and drive to Rome or hire a driver to take you.

3. Modena (city)
  4. Parma (city)
  5. Bologna (city)
  6. Siena (city)

Caterina from Florence

Dear Suzette, TRAIN IS THE ANSWER! VeniceFlorence and Rome are very well connected by high-speed trains ("frecce" in Italian). This means that you can reach Florence (station: Firenze S. M. Novella) in 2 hours from Venezia S. Lucia and Rome (station: Roma Termini) in 1 hour and 30 minutes from Florence. I think you can book your tickets directly on the Trenitalia website and see if they have some special offers... There are special tickets for families but I think children must be under 12.

As far as a Tour Operator is concerned, I can give you the name of a tour operator based in Florence, Rome and Venice: Ciao Florence Tours & Travels. They organize a lot of day trips to and from these cities + half day city tours/full day city tours.

Since you don't have so much time, I suggest you make the most of your days in Venice, Florence & Rome (Florence may be visited in 2 days but Rome is just HUGE!). However, if you want to include some Tuscany, then check out all those tours departing from Florence.

I hope this may help,

have a great time in Italy!

Caterina

4. Tuscany (state)

Pat from Cambria

Just returned with 16-year-old niece from exact same itinerary but in reverse. Second class high speed trains are the way to go and if you go into Trenitalia's web site and explore Roma, Firenze and Venezia you may find their economy saver prices. It cuts the costs and times considerably. There may be family prices also. If this is your first time to these cities, I don't believe you have time for other stops. I would suggest you use your time to scratch the surface of these major sites.  From Firenze it is about 50 minutes to Pisa and a fun side trip. Throughout these cities your daughters will have free or reduced admissions to all state museums. All students under 18 are free in most, not just EU. Have your girls bring student ID or some sort of ID with date of birth. And book what you can online ahead of time as the lines will be awful at major sites. My niece loved this trip with Rome being her favorite city, cruising the canals on the vaparettos as most fun, gondola ride as the biggest waste of time and money. Smart girl.

1. Pisa (city)

Yoana from Santa Ana

Most travel via Train. To get to Venice you'll need to take a train then a ferry.

alessandro from Asciano

Ciao

you don't have a lot of time, the best way is the train from Venice to Florence and from Florence to Rome. In Florence to find a good cheese tasting you need a car to exit from the city in the countryside. To visit outside of Florence you need a car.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4ddd1a035296f310VgnVCM1000005817f90aRCRD

http://www.myguideinflorence.com/home/ for Florence

Have a nice time in Italy

alessandro draghi il molinello

mike from Coral Gables

Train from Venice to Florence is best for that portion of the trip. The idea of a private tour for the Florence to Rome portion is a great idea, it will allow you a lot more maneuverability. Where to visit is the difficult part. There are so many diverse places in-between. But i think the best to visit on the way (and pick only one, maybe two so you have time to spend there and start early) are Siena (like a smaller more formal Florence), Orvieto, Cortona, both great little walled hilltop towns, Montalcino or Montepulciano two great mountain top wine towns, if you want a town and wine tasting. Or for a smaller more focused wine/olive oil tasting in Tuscany try Radda in Chianti, minuscule town, great wine.

3. Siena (city)
  4. Orvieto (city)
  5. Cortona (attraction)
  6. Montalcino (city)
  7. Montepulciano (city)
  8. Radda in Chianti (city)

Sandy from Memphis, Tennessee

Rent a car then ditch it at rome airport,take taxi to hotel hopefully you are close to a lot of attractions

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

That's very similar to an itinerary my son and I did a few years ago. First two days in Venice, then train to Province of Florence. I would suggest not taking the term "fast train" too literally. It was on schedule but hardly a bullet train experience. 

We went to Rome by rented car, on our own. What we did in one day was a wonderful itinerary -- I just wish we had given ourselves four days to do it. We had a beautiful travel day and made several extremely brief stops along the way, in Tuscany and Umbria:

• San Gimignano -- a classic Tuscan hill town, sadly overrun with tourists and their camp followers, but worth it for the uniqueness of the towers, their history, and the Tuscan countryside.
  • Siena -- Unquestionably worth a couple of days on its own -- the Duomo is unique.
  • Orvieto -- Lovely Umbrian hill town with another breathtaking cathedral and a deservedly famous local white wine.

When you arrive in Rome, make sure you know where you are going and be very careful of taxi scams -- Rome's famous for them. Go to a hotel or restaurant and ask them to call you a taxi if you must use one. Be prepared for unexpected, often unannounced strikes on the bus or subway lines. Be aware, the Rome subway doesn't cover that much of the city. Try to learn the bus routes -- probably the most reliable transportation in the city.

2. Province of Florence (metro area)
  4. Tuscany (state)
  5. Umbria (attraction)
  6. San Gimignano (city)
  7. Siena (city)
  8. Orvieto (city)

Steve

I have been to all three of these cities on a past trip a few years ago. I personally took the train. Eurail pass is what I used for my Family of three. I have rented cars in the past. But it has been my experience when I am staying in larger cities like the ones mentioned. Cars can be more of a nuisance than a help. There are wionderful transportation systems in Italy, as most of Europe. I usually stay a bit out of the city center. In Rome I stayed about 5 stops away from downtown on one of the subway lines. Which I found a wonderful park with aqueducts, part of the old trade road with a stop over house. I also stayed out of the island of Venice. It was about a 8 minute bus ride to Venice. Which was nice. Venice got kind of tourist crazy. So it was nice to retreat to the suburbs and walk around that community. There was a coffee house next door to where we stayed at. So we would have coffee and sandwiches. But it was all just minutes from the tourist area of Venice. Everything with trains runs multiple times a day. Public transit is multiple times a hour. I think usually at least every quarter hour.

Faith

Hi Suzette!

We have done that trip twice, once before a cruise and once after. The train is an awesome way to travel. As for a private tour, I have no suggestions for that but I am sure someone will have input.

Faith

John from Carlsbad (California)

I would definitely take the train from Venice to Province of Florence. Tuscany Car Tours is a company that gets rave reviews on Tripadvisor, although I have not personally used them.  They will drive you from Florence to Rome and include a day of sightseeing tailored to your requests.   http://tuscanycartours.com/index.htm

2. Province of Florence (metro area)
  3. Tuscany Car Tours (attraction)

Kemkem from Malaga

Around Florence, l would recommend San Gimignano. It is so beautiful and great views of the Tuscan hills. The food is really good too. There is a slower train from Province of Florence to Rome that is just slightly less than €20 per person, and takes 3 hours unlike the fast train. Great views at a slower speed. I hope you guys have a wonderful time.

1. San Gimignano (city)
  2. Province of Florence (metro area)