Venice, Cinque Terre, Florence

Order of travel

Traveling Italy for the first time this summer.  Want to hit the above three cities.  Thinking of flying into Venice for a few days, then on from there.  Does it make sense to go to Cinque Terre and then to Florence...or...Florence and then Cinque Terre.  Flexible as far as where I fly out of.  Thanks for the advice.

Susan from London

Although the temptation might be got to Venice first, I would say the opposite.  You always want to leave Venice until last.  I learned this a long time ago. The quiet, the beauty, the romance...as you glide to the airport over the lagoon you can't help but take that feeling home with you.

Have you ever been?  If not check out my blog:  Best Bits Worldwide. There is one post specifically for you! "Venice for the First Timer! 

Have fun! Susan

Roberta from Reggio di Calabria

Hi Meg!

I think going from Venice to Cinque Terre is better, and finally reach Province of Florence because you've to go to the south. I can suggest you to check this website where you can find accommodations in Tuscan area but also very nice activities to do :) such as tastings, tours, cooking classes, workshops of art...!

Check it out and then let me know!

Roberta

1. Venice (attraction)
  2. Cinque Terre (region)
  3. Province of Florence (metro area)

Greggory from Old Bridge, New Jersey

Hi! Depends on whether or not you'll be staying over night in Cinque Terre. The train (or road if you're renting) from Venice to Florence  is quite quick but out to cinque terre the roads become less direct and the trains slower. Generally speaking cinque terre makes a good day trip and having Florence as your home base is very easy. If you plan on staying overnight in cinque terre I don't think the order matters much but I think I Venice-cinque is slightly better just working south to north.

1. Cinque Terre (restaurant)

I agree with Crystal. If you can arrange a flight from Florence then the order of Venice Cinque Terre and then Florence makes good sense. If you need to fly back from Milan it might be easier to go to Florence and THEN Cinque Terre - it's easier to route from there (or nearby Genoa ) to Milan by road or train as it's a little closer.

3. Cinque Terre (region)
  4. Milan (city)
  5. Genoa (city)

Crystal from Anchorage

I think it makes more sense to go Venice - Cinque Terre- Florence because there is an airport in Florence. Also, if you have time stop by Bologna for a couple of days. I really enjoyed my visit there.

Happy Travels!

Crystal

2. Cinque Terre (restaurant)
  4. Bologna (city)

Carole

If you are coming from the US or Canada, fly into Venice on a Delta or Air France flight.  From any major US Delta hub you can fly nonstop into Paris and change planes for a quick hop to Marco Polo International Venice.  Take the Alilaguna boat into Venice.  Spend at least 3 nights in Venice. 

Then on the 4th day, check out of your hotel mid-morning and take the train to Santa Maria Novella station in Florence  The trip takes 4-4.5 hrs which would put you into Florence mid-afternoon in time for hotel check in.  Spend at least 4 nights in Florence so you can do some day trips out to Siena or other parts of Tuscany or to Lucca.  Don't forget to check museum schedules if seeing art masterpieces is on your to-do-list because each museum is closed on certain days each week. 

Then take the train to La Spezia Centrale (the southern gateway to the Cinque Terre) which takes about 2.5 hrs via Pisa (you might want to get off in Pisa for some sightseeing on the way).  Stay in La Spezia and take the local trains or boats to the 5 towns of the Cinque Terre. Spend at least 3 nights in La Spezia if you plan on doing much hiking between the 5 towns.

When you are ready to fly home, you could take a train from La Spezia to Milan's Malpensa Airport (4.5-5 hrs) or you could take the train back to Pisa and fly home from there via somewhere in Europe (such as Paris if you have Delta/Air France tickets).  The train from La Spezia to Pisa takes about 1.5 hrs.

If you can manage the time, add extra nights in Venice and Florence because there is so much to see and do in and near those two cities.

Bon voyage!

3. Siena (attraction)
  4. Lucca (attraction)
  5. La Spezia Centrale (attraction)
  6. Pisa (attraction)
  7. Cinque Terre (region)
  8. Malpensa Airport (attraction)