Veronica
Wyoming

Venice

First time in Italy. Advice please.

We are planning a trip to Italy. How long should we plan on staying to get a good vacation out of it? We are artists and want to check out artwork and experience good places to eat. Advice needed on where to stay and how to get from one place to the next - museums, restaurants and hotel.

Generally for Venice specifically, I think 3 days allows you time to see all that you want to see and also the all important time to just wander around Venice-which really is what makes you fall in love with the city.  If you are going to spend more time than the average person spends studying the chuches and museums, I would add that 4th day just to make sure you can wander.  If incorporating the other islands (Murano is delightful)-add the 5th....

My husband is right about stretching to 2 weeks.  From there, I usually think about the places I need to see and how much "down" time I would like as Europe (and Italy) can make you try to cram in a ton of stuff so you see everything-which can make you exhausted!!  If you say Rome, Venice, Florence-you can easily spend enough time in each to really say you visited and get a feel for each one and still have a few days left-over to "rest" in Tuscany or Lake Como areas.  You can easily get between these places by train, which also allows you to take in a bit of the countryside.

Stuart from Redondo Beach

Three to five days, but even then you'll hate to leave. Stay at the Locanda Marinella; it's near the bus station and the railroad station meaning getting to and from the airport from the hotel is easy. Travel by vaporetto: 20 euros for a 24-hour pass, even to Lido and Murano Island. Walk everywhere; surprises await even down the narrowest alley. Make a list by artists (Bellini, Vivarini, etc.) of where art you want to see is located to make efficient use of your time.  

1. Locanda Marinella (hotel)
  2. Lido (city)
  3. Murano Island (attraction)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Veronica!  If you can make two weeks of it, you can skim the highlights. If you are looking for art and good eating, I would concentrate on Tuscany and the small hilltop villages especially to the south of Florence.  If you want to make it more comprehensive,  I would probably start in either Venice or Rome.  Obviously, these are the three most visited cities, but it is a wonderful introduction to Italy for a reason.  So, with that said, if you start in Venice, some highlights I would recommend would be staying around Basilica di San Marco.  Some highlights I would not miss are a day trip to Murano IslandBasilica di San MarcoCampanile di San MarcoGrand CanalRialto Bridge,Peggy Guggenheim CollectionCà d'OroScuola Grande Di San Rocco, Doge's Palace Harry's Bar, and by all means embrace getting lost!  I would rail everywhere, as it is very easy and convenient.  From Venice, I would spend a night in Pisa, where you will see the leaning tower, but more so, visit the Duomo Di Pisa P.P., and the very cool acoustics of the Pisa Baptistry.  From there you can rail into Florence and I would try to visit the Medici ChapelBargello National MuseumBasilica of Santa CroceGallery of The AcademyUffizi Gallery.  Find some time to sitting around the Piazza del Duomo and people watch, but make sure to visit the The Baptistery of St. John.  Try to find a night to eat at Trattoria Sostanza and order the butter chicken or steak florentine.  Simple, but excellent.  Rome is a nice change of pace from the "Renaissance" feel of Venice and Florence.  Just try to incorporate something to do with the Bernini influence, most notably in Piazza Navona.  Do all the touristy stuff with Roman ForumColosseumTrevi Fountain and. Vatican CitySt. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Museums.  Finally, I would rail down to Naples for an overnight there to eat their famed pizza, but also to take a day trip over to Mount Vesuvius and the amazing ruins at Pompei.Hope that helps and safe travels!  

1. Tuscany (state)
  2. Basilica di San Marco (attraction)
  3. Murano Island (attraction)
  4. Campanile di San Marco (attraction)
  5. Grand Canal (attraction)
  6. Rialto Bridge (attraction)
  7. Peggy Guggenheim Collection (attraction)
  8. Cà d'Oro (attraction)
  9. Scuola Grande Di San Rocco (attraction)
  10. Doge's Palace (attraction)
  11. Harry's Bar (attraction)
  12. Pisa (city)
  13. Duomo Di Pisa P.P. (attraction)
  14. Pisa Baptistry (attraction)
  15. Medici Chapel (attraction)
  16. Bargello National Museum (attraction)
  17. Basilica of Santa Croce (attraction)
  18. Gallery of The Academy (attraction)
  19. Uffizi Gallery (attraction)
  20. Piazza del Duomo (attraction)
  21. The Baptistery of St. John (attraction)
  22. Trattoria Sostanza (restaurant)
  23. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  24. Roman Forum (attraction)
  25. Colosseum (attraction)
  26. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  27. Vatican City (city)
  28. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)
  29. Vatican Museums (attraction)
  30. Mount Vesuvius (attraction)
  31. Pompei (attraction)