Aerin
Santa Barbara

Venice, Italy

Day Trips from Venice

Spending some time in Italy for the next few weeks and I was wondering if there are any fun and interesting towns to visit outside of Venice that I can easily get to by public transportation? I don't want to go more than 4+ hours outside of the city.

mike from Coral Gables

Treviso is a beautiful, small, elegant city. It has several canals surrounding the city and is a little like Venice. The food is great and the shopping is good. It is only about 1/2 hour by train. We rented a car in Treviso and went to Bassano del Grappafor lunch another magical little town at the foot of the mountains.

Closer to Milan is Bergamoa little hilltop town.

1. Treviso (city)
  2. Bassano del Grappa (city)
  3. Bergamo (city)

peter from Downtown Ithaca

PadovaPadua is a short 20 minute train ride from Venice. It's a very old, 12th century, university town with some very famous sites such as the Scrovegni Chapel and St. Anthony's Basillica. Also, VeronaVerona, RavennaRavenna, VicenzaVicenza, and definitely BolognaBologna. They are all close to Venice. Bologna is under 2 hours by train. I have only listed the cities I have visited But there are others nearby like MantovaMantua and TrentoTrento. I suggest you get more information about them to find out what strikes your interest. They are all beautiful, have amazing histories, great sites to see and great food.

St. Anthony's Basillica.

1. Padova (city)
  2. Verona (city)
  3. Ravenna (city)
  4. Vicenza (city)
  5. Bologna (city)
  6. Mantova (city)
  7. Trento (city)

Lisa from Aomori

I think the train to Milan from Venice is only about 1.5-2 hours.  Also, I've heard Padova is pretty cool!  Much closer too.  And if you want to be even closer Lido is just a short boat ride away!  Though it may not be the best time for beach-going and it's basically Venice anyway lol

1. Padova (city)
  2. Lido (city)

Anneke from Amsterdam

You could do a day trip to Verona. It's about an hour by train from Venice and it's a beautiful city!

1. Verona (city)

Elliott from San Francisco

Day trip to the UNESCO-listed Dolomite Mountains from Venice
Stop in the village of Pieve Di Cadore, birthplace of the Renaissance painter Titian
Take a break at two breathtakingly beautiful mountain lakes: Santa Caterina and Lake Misurina – the ‘Pearl of the Dolomites’
Explore the mountain trails on a self-guided walk, if you wish
Spend time and money in the ski resort of Cortina d'Ampezzo and peruse its elegant boutiques

1. Dolomite Mountains (attraction)
  2. Pieve Di Cadore (attraction)
  3. Santa Caterina (city)
  4. Lake Misurina (attraction)
  5. Cortina d'Ampezzo (city)

Luis from Los Angeles, California

I think you have a couple good options like Bologna, Verona, And the beach town of Rimini are all within a couple hours on bus transport or train. Verona has a lot of great architecture and beautiful churches, and Rimini is a laid back beach town, which when I went was not too crowded or touristy. Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll love!

1. Bologna (city)
  2. Verona (city)
  3. Rimini (city)