Debbie from San Francisco asked

48 hours in Venice

I'll be spending two whole days in Venice during my Europe trip!  I'll be flying into Marco Polo Airport and ferrying onto the island proper (does anyone actually have any specific details on that?).  I'll be meeting up with a group of my friends there. 

What are must-try foods of that region (whether it's a food stand or something nice) and what are the culturally significant sites that I should visit?  We're a group of 20-30'something year olds, so if there's anything fun at night, we'd love to know about that.  Also, we're not sure where we're staying yet, so any hotel suggestions would be awesome.  Thanks!

Venice

Andreas from Manhattan

I am jealous.  I was last in that area in 2010 and I miss it.  But anyhow, these are some of the places that you'll have to try to fit into your schedule:

Food:

• Ostaria Boccadoro -- great seafood spot that's a bit off the beaten path
  • Locanda cipriani -- this place is a Venice institution. Ernest Hemingway and royalty have eaten here
  • Antiche Carampane -- one of the cities oldest restaurants. Tons of celebrities have eaten here

Gelato:

Bars:

Attractions

Of course, you have to for a gondola ride on the canal. Have a  blast!

I'm definitely seeing all of those attractions and possibly going on a gondola ride! Looking into the food and drinks places, too, of course! Thanks so much, Andreas!

1. Ostaria Boccadoro (restaurant)
  2. Locanda cipriani (restaurant)
  3. Antiche Carampane (restaurant)
  4. Boutique Del Gelato (restaurant)
  5. Alaska Gelateria (restaurant)
  6. Naranzaria (restaurant)
  7. Bancogiro (restaurant)
  8. Ardidos (restaurant)
  9. Al Merca' (attraction)
  10. Skyline Rooftop Bar (attraction)
  11. Pane Vino e San Daniele (restaurant)
  12. Ristorante Maddalena (restaurant)
  13. Campanile di San Marco (attraction)
  14. Basilica di San Marco (attraction)
  15. Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale) (attraction)
  16. Torre dell'Orologio (attraction)
Bianca from Miami

If glass blowing interests you at all, you should ferry over to  Murano Island.  So pretty!  You can watch glass being blown and pick up some souvenirs.

And you HAVE to go to Boutique Del Gelato.  I waited in line for it once a day.  That's how good it is!  I tried a bunch of different flavors and my favorite was nicciolosa, which was pretty much vanilla gelato mixed with Nutella.  But you can't go wrong with anything you order there.  Also, a gigantic scoop is only 1.5 euro!

Mmmm, that sounds so good! Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to make it to Murano, too :)

1. Murano Island (attraction)
  2. Boutique Del Gelato (restaurant)
Sunil from Mountain View

48 hours is a tight time frame, but if you're ambitious and energetic enough, I think you can definitely get a good feel for the city since it's so tiny.

Here are some of the most popular cultural attractions:

For food:

• Rosa Salva is very close to the Chiesa Dei Santi Giovanni e Paolo.  Super old cafe that's been there for centuries.
  • Al Covo: So good. Apparently manned by American-Italians.
  • Da Fiore: amazing seafood.  Prix fixe meal is about $100 or so.
  • Osteria alle Testiere: another seafood place.  Really creative dishes, like octopus-stuffed gnocchi
  • If you like wine,  Cantina Do Mori and  Cantine del Vino Già Schiavi are great wine bars with awesome charcuterie plates.

My stomach just growled writing that.  Have a good time!

Holy cow! I'm going to skip out on the Guggenheim Collection, too, but I'm going to try to get at least a photo of all the other places and I'll see about these restaurants and wine bars. Thanks so much, Sunil!

1. Gallerie dell'Accademia (attraction)
  2. Cà d'Oro (attraction)
  3. Grand Canal (attraction)
  4. Piazza San Marco (attraction)
  5. Caffè Florian (restaurant)
  6. Gran Caffè Quadri (restaurant)
  7. Gran Caffe Chioggia (restaurant)
  8. Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale) (attraction)
  9. Punta della Dogana (attraction)
  10. Peggy Guggenheim Collection (attraction)
  11. Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (attraction)
  12. Chiesa Di San Giovanni e Paolo (attraction)
  13. Chiesa Della Pietà (attraction)
  14. Scuola Grande Di San Rocco (attraction)
  15. Rosa Salva (restaurant)
  16. Al Covo (restaurant)
  17. Da Fiore (restaurant)
  18. Osteria alle Testiere (restaurant)
  19. Cantina Do Mori (restaurant)
  20. Cantine del Vino Già Schiavi (restaurant)
Stephan from Innsbruck

Hello Debbie,

I've got a very special secret tip for you to discover a real Italian way to taste some great wine and good food. You should try out Bacareto da Lele (see here: Bacareto Da Lele on Yelp.com). It is a very small kind of wine and food place, where you get a glass of local wine for € 0.60 and really nice sandwiches for less then € 2.-. You get your food and drinks at the bar, where you also pay for them upon receipt, and then consume it outside, together with friends and family and other Venetians. This is a real Italian way of getting a tasty snack in between times. The owners are very helpful and friendly and are used to dealing with tourists not capable of the Italian language. You'll find it easily. See the walking route here. There's a big wine barrel used as a table in front of it. It's very close to the main station right across the German/Austrian consulate.

Stephan

Thanks for the tip, Stephan! I can't wait to go back to Venice and try this place! :)

1. Bacareto da Lele (restaurant)
Alessandra from Treviso

Whoever's going to visit Venice must stop at the  il Paradiso Perduto  (in  Cannaregio) for lunch, dinner or just an happy hour! Happy hour with locals runs also at  Campo Santa Margherita, don't miss it! Any "bacaro" would be good after six p.m.!

If you wanna try some tipical food you gotta go to  Antica Trattoria Poste Vecie (close to the  Rialto Bridge). 

Wanna have some party? If you're lucky try to go at  PalazzinaG Hotel (in  Sestiere di San Marco).

In summer, if you want to get a nice tan, go to  Zattere and enjoy the panorama. :)

Thank you so much for the recommendations, Alessandra! I cannot wait to try these! :)

1. il Paradiso Perduto (restaurant)
  2. Cannaregio (attraction)
  3. Campo Santa Margherita (attraction)
  4. Antica Trattoria Poste Vecie (restaurant)
  5. Rialto Bridge (attraction)
  6. PalazzinaG Hotel (hotel)
  7. Sestiere di San Marco (attraction)
  8. Zattere (attraction)
Avery from Berkeley

I was literally at Caffè del Doge every morning that I was in Venice.  They have such a great selection of coffee, imported from all over the world, and very good croissants.  All their staff speak fairly good English, too, so it was easier to chat it up with them.

For gelato, Alaska Gelateria is the best!  Be prepared to wait in line.  Such amazing flavors. 

Sounds awesome! Those two spots are now officially on my list. Thanks, Avery! :)

Avery
You're welcome! Venice is a beautiful city with amazing food. Have fun!

1. Caffè del Doge (restaurant)
  2. Alaska Gelateria (restaurant)
Andrew from Minneapolis

For a hotel, The Gritti Palace is one of my favorite hotels in the entire world, so check it out. It just recently went under a $55 million renovation.

Whoa! I'll look into that. Thanks!