Oliver
Ansbach

Vancouver

What are your favorite hikes in the surrounding of Vancouver?

Today we did the Grouse Mountain Trail and we were really shocked, how many people are "running" up the steep steps and missed the nature experience.

For the next couple of weeks we are looking for some nice calm hikes to enjoy the nature and wilderness of Canada. Up to 1 or 2 hour drive from Vancouver.

What are your favorite hikes here? 

Shaun from Vancouver

Hi Oliver, the Grind is not scenic. It is a staircase up a mountain so people use it for exercise. I used to do it once a week and was always shocked to see tourists in jeans thinking it is a leisurely stroll!

Instead head up the Sea to Sky highway (which is a spectacular drive) to the Squamish Chief. You can hike to the top of the Chief for amazing views or to the top of nearby Shannon Falls - which is a less crowded and more scenic hike with similar view from top.

There is also a brand new Gondola at the Chief that I have yet to try. There is a longer hike to the top and you can take the lift down.

There are many more in the Squamish area but the Chief is the most tourist friendly to find.

Besides that there are tons of hikes on the North Shore of Vancouver. Lynn Canyon Park is nice and there is a free suspension bridge like the one at Capilano. Dog Mountain is a good one too.

See here for a full list --> http://www.vancouvertrails.com/regions/the-north-shore/

Have fun and stay dry!

Shaun

www.thislifeintrips.com

1. Squamish Chief (attraction)
  2. Lynn Canyon Park (attraction)

Marina from Canada

Hi Oliver,

I agree with Shaun.  The Grouse Grind is an intense climb, not a leisurely hike.  I would also recommend the Squamish Chief or Lynn Valley for scenic, gorgeous treks.  They would be a 3 or 4 out of 10 in terms of difficulty. Enjoy!

1. The Grouse Grind (attraction)
  2. Squamish Chief (attraction)
  3. Lynn Valley (attraction)

Klim from Vancouver

Not sure when this was asked, because the Grouse Grind that I assume you are referring to is closed in the winter, but Stawamus Chief Provincial Park has a lot of great trails open May to October. I'm not a particularly good hiker but I thoroughly enjoy The Chief and have been up several times. There's a lot of people there too, but I think there's plenty to enjoy at a calm pace.

Btw, the people running up Grouse do it almost everyday and are working on beating their best times. It's quite the competition in Vancouver.

1. Stawamus Chief Provincial Park (attraction)

karaline from Victoria

Yeah, the Grouse Grind is more of a 'experience' than enjoyable hike. I love hiking in Squamish (North of Vancouver), the Chief (either 1 or all three peaks) is a great day hike and offers some amazing views of How sound, although it's also a pretty good uphill trek (what can I say, we have a lot of mountains). Lighthouse Park

http://www.vancouvertrails.com is another great resource with tons of trail info, including how to get to trail heads with public transit.

Happy hiking!

1. Squamish (attraction)
  2. Lighthouse Park (attraction)

Arnette from Los Angeles

I love Deep Cove in North Vancouver. The view from Quarry Rock is awesome. Be sure to have a doughnut at Honey's Doughnuts afterwards. 

I wrote a blog post about it here: http://bit.ly/deepcoveNV 

Happy hiking! 

Arnette Round The World Girl

1. Deep Cove (attraction)
  2. Honey's Doughnuts (attraction)