Jennifer
Culver City

Vancouver

Restaurant suggestions for birthday trip?

My friend and I are going to Vancouver as a 30th birthday celebration. We need a couple restaurants to go to while we're there- we want to splurge one night, but the other nights we are willing to try anything. Any suggestions?

ross from Chicago

Tojo's Restaurant, best sushi in Canada! Go you'll love it. Ask for chef Tojo's selection.

1. Tojo's Restaurant (attraction)

Joanna from Vancouver

If money is not an issue for one night, definitely go to L'Abattoir, best cocktails in Vancouver, great dinner options (the Steak Diane is unbelievable and the Coffee Flour dessert is to die for) and you can even fancy up, not like other places here that are pretty casual. 

Other options (of my favorites) are Cuchillo, mexican with a twist. Miku Restaurant super fresh sushi and seafood and Chambar Restaurant, if you order the "Congolaise mussels" you will dream about them all your life. 

For cheaper and still great options, try TacoFinoThe Acorn Restaurant (vegetarian as you've never tried before), Calabash Bistro and Mamie Taylor's.

As you might notice, I love food and this city has a great selection of everything. Enjoy Vancouver! 

1. L'Abattoir (restaurant)
  2. Cuchillo (restaurant)
  3. Miku Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Chambar Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. TacoFino (restaurant)
  6. The Acorn Restaurant (restaurant)
  7. Calabash Bistro (restaurant)
  8. Mamie Taylor's (restaurant)

Jin from Vancouver

A lot of people seems to think that Chinese Restaurants must be tried when visiting Vancouver.  There's a HUGE variety -- Hunan, Sichuan, Cantonese, and Taiwanese.  I would recommend Alvin Garden for Hunan dishes -- basically uses a lot of pickled vegetables and chilli peppers (which can be reduced if you order mild).  My favorite Cantonese is Top Cantonese around Kingsway & Earls streets in East Vancouver.  One of my friend's favorite is Kirin Seafood Restaurant (a high end Cantonese restaurant).  My favorite Taiwanese is Corner 23 at Cambie & 23rd.  Not sure what to recommend for Sichuan ... I think there's on around Broadway west of Granville that's highly recommended by a friend. 

1. Alvin Garden (restaurant)
  2. Kirin Seafood Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Corner 23 (restaurant)

Marina from Canada

Hope I'm not too late.   Depending on the food you want to eat and cash you want to spend, here are a few suggestions:

The Flying Pig Yaletown

Cioppino's Mediterranean Grill

Cardero's Restaurant (View!)

Coast Restaurant

The Sandbar Seafood Restaurant - Granville Island (View!)

1. The Flying Pig Yaletown (restaurant)
  2. Cioppino's Mediterranean Grill (restaurant)
  3. Cardero's Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Coast Restaurant (attraction)
  5. The Sandbar Seafood Restaurant (restaurant)

Louise from Vancouver

For a splurge the Hawksworth Restaurant is great. Wildebeest is also worth a look if you're into all different types of meat. Other favourites are Homer St. Cafe and Bar - their chicken rotisserie is amazing. And The Flying Pig Yaletown (and the Gastown location) are awesome for Appy Hour (4-6pm everyday, $4 wine & beer and $5-6 appies) and for dinner. Oh and Hapa Izakaya - Yaletown (in all it's locations) is great for sushi etc. Great restaurants is not something Vancouver is short of!

1. Hawksworth Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Wildebeest (restaurant)
  3. Homer St. Cafe and Bar (restaurant)
  4. The Flying Pig Yaletown (restaurant)
  5. Hapa Izakaya - Yaletown (restaurant)

lauren from Vancouver

Sawasdee Thai Restaurant yum yum!

Volcano Sushi good eats for cheap!

Seasons in the Park not cheap but wonderful view or Dockside Restaurant & Brewing Company

Happy 30th!

1. Sawasdee Thai Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Volcano Sushi (restaurant)
  3. Seasons in the Park (restaurant)
  4. Dockside Restaurant & Brewing Company (restaurant)

Marilyn from Vancouver

I really enjoy going to The Sandbar Seafood Restaurant on Granville Island. Great tapas, seafood and a trendy atmosphere. somewhat upscale but not overly. Excellent place for a birthday celebration. Also Granville island is a large market with many artisan shops. Most people who visit Vancouver include this on their list of spots to visit and have lunch etc. 

1. The Sandbar Seafood Restaurant (restaurant)

Pam from Vancouver

If you want to celebrate an occasion I'd recommend Le Crocodile. Le Croc is a french restaurant with great service and good food. It's my go to for consistently good food. 

1. Le Crocodile (restaurant)

Pavol from Vancouver

1. Shanghai River Restaurant (restaurant)