Eva
Toronto

Vancouver, Whistler, Tofino

How to spend 6 days in Vancouver and around?

Hi, thinking about taking a 6 day trip to Vancouver in the end of March, I would like to spend 2 or 3 days in the city and 3 or 4 days either in the mountains - Whistler / Pemberton or on Vancouver Island, which would you recommend? I probably don't want to do both because that would be too much driving. Any tips? Is it possible to do hiking at this time of the year or are most trails closed? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ali from Vancouver

I would say 2 days in the city. Depending on your interests, there are different places to go. Gastown and Main Street Skytrain Station (between 12th-40th) have some of my favourite shopping that also caters a lot to local artisans. Tons of great restaurants too. Gastown has some of the best coffee in the country in my opinion. I like RevolverCafe CremaJJ Bean Fraser.  A classic Vancouver activity is the The Grouse Grind - a steep mountain in north van with something like 2600 stairs. Good workout, great view. 

You can rent bikes/rollerblades near Stanley Parkand circle the giant, beautiful, 8km island. 

The drive/ferry to Vancouver Island gets expensive - I think its $45 each way for the vehicle and $16 per passenger. Vancouver Island is amazing, but I would spend longer there to make the trip worth it. Vancouver island hosts the only "slow food city' in Canada - Cowichan Bay . Tons of great b&b's around there. Victoria is an awesome town and a real small town feel. My favourite restaurant there is Rebar  - vegetarian, but even die hard carnivores like it. 

Hiking is aplenty this time of year, whistler/squamish would be great (squamish is only a 45 minute drive). Mountain biking and hiking in whistler, world class rock climbing near Squamish. 

1. Gastown (neighborhood)
  2. Main Street Skytrain Station (attraction)
  3. Revolver (restaurant)
  4. Cafe Crema (restaurant)
  5. JJ Bean Fraser (restaurant)
  6. The Grouse Grind (attraction)
  7. Stanley Park (park)
  8. Cowichan Bay (city)
  9. Rebar (restaurant)