Dan

Valencia, Granada, Alicante, Spain

Suggestions for Christmas in Spain

Hello!

I'll be in Spain for this upcoming Christmas and am looking for suggestions on which city/town might provide the liveliest, cultural experience (any suggestions welcome!.) Judging from my current itinerary, I'm looking to spend Christmas eve/day in a place between Granada and Valencia (I was looking at Alicante?.) I also know very well that many restaurants and stores are not open Christmas eve, Christmas day, and, sometimes, the day after Christmas so I'll need to prepare for meals accordingly.

Will you be in Spain on the 6th of January?  Christmas in Spain is a quieter holiday. There aren't many large celebrations and most people celebrate quietly with their families. All of the amazing cultural festivals/events happen on Epiphany on January 6th with celebrations all of the country of Los Reyes Magos (The Three Kings). There are parades where the three kings come through the town throwing candy.

Alcoy has a large celebrations that dates back to the 1800's, but if you can't get there, most towns, small and large will have the parade. Just look for information on the "cabalgada de los tres reyes."

Often celebrations will begin on the 4th and continue through the 6th. It's amazing. Don't miss it.

1. Alcoy (attraction)