Lise
Huntsville

Lise from Huntsville asked

New adventure

I'm planning a trip with my best friend in the near future to Utah so this would be a girls trip . I usually travel out of the country but now want to visit part of the U.S. Have always heard how beautiful Utah was and had heard the 4 corners is a must see. I would like to know the best places to visit for the beauty as I am an avid photographer. I would be renting a car once we flew in. This would be at least a weeks trip so want to see as much as possible. Can you visit the Mormon church and hear the choir? What is the best time to visit to avoid crowds and have good weather? Any input wold be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Utah

I have not been to the area in a long time but I do not know that 4 corners is a must see.

John
Did you mean 4 corners IS a must see? Or that it's NOT a must see?

Lise
I had heard this too so will definitely put that on my list. Thank you.

not a must see

When we were there it was in 1966 in October at dusk. There was just a big plaque on the ground with the borders of the four states and it was fun to stand on the intersection. I think now it has gotten more touristy.

Jerry from Edmonton
If you are going to the mormon temple look up the choir and organ practice, each week you can see them in the old temple.  Arrive early because it fills up fast.  We have gone twice and spent a half a day each time, go in the morning, take the tour and lineup early.  We like September because of the peach festival.  You could go up to Park city and sundance film festival sites for great scenery.  We did a day trip a 5 hr drive from Salt Lake to arches park, well worth it to see but I would recommend a week just for Arches and the other southern parks.  You can not go wrong either way.  The 4 corners would be at the bottom of my list and I am a geography nerd.

Lise
Thank you for your input. Yes, I was definitely planning on trying to hear the Mormon choir and touring the temple. Thanks for the heads up about arriving early. And yes, looking at trying to get to one of the parks too and Arches was the one I was g

Lise
going to try to visit.

Stanley from Butte
I'm assuming you're going during the ideal time, which is late Spring, Summer, or early Fall. Peak season is basically May 1 to September 30. For photography, you want to arrive early or stay late to get the best lighting. Get a sunrise shot of Bryce Canyon National Park.
You definitely want to capture the stone arches in Arches National Park.
Since you have time, go to the Mesa Arch in Canyonlands National Park. If you can camp overnight, you can get some great shots of the stars at night.
Another stop would be Dead Horse Point State Park. Since you have a rental car and a friend with you, keep your eyes open for any interesting stops on the road between parks.
A few other places: Valley of the GodsGlen Canyon National Recreation Area, or Mineral Bottom. There are endless places to explore with amazing photo opportunities everywhere. Have fun!

Lise
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I am making notes on all of the suggestions sent to me.