arti
Chandigarh

arti from Chandigarh asked

United States trip with family- Where to go and how much should we budget?

I want to go to the United States for a trip with my family of 4 for 6 days. Any idea about budget? What would be the most famous places to visit?

United States

Anthony from Vancouver

I have travelled extensively in the USA and India.  I can tell you that living and travelling in the USA is at least ten times more expensive than travelling in India. You can save some money by staying in the back packer hostels for US $35 per night with hotels much more.  You can expect to pay between US$10 to $25 for each restaurant meal.  Inter city bus transportation is the cheapest way to get around but will cost US $100 to $200 each trip depending on where you want to go. Many of the top famous American attractions like Disneyland costs US $100 for a one day ticket - much more than even most American citizens can afford.  The fall in the exchange rate between Indian Rupee and the US dollar will not help your situation.  If you have American friends or family then you can save some money otherwise travelling independently in the USA will cost you many Lakhs worth of rupees!  Good luck!

Polly from Washington, DC

Camille's California trip is a great suggestion. You can drive along beautiful Route 1 or take the train between the two cities, and there's plenty to see in and around both. I'd spend three days in Los Angeles, two days in San Francisco, and one day in Napa Valley.

A few other ideas would be as follows - 

2 days Washington, DC, 1 day Lancaster (Pennsylvania) (Pennsylvania Dutch Country), and 3 days New York City

6 days Florida - Disney (if you have kids under 15), Miami, and the Everglades

2 days Las Vegas, 2 days Monument Valley and nearby parks, and 2 days Grand Canyon National Park

Visiting the US can be expensive because you need a car to get around most places and decent hotels generally start at around $100 a night (and in several of the places I mentioned, it is even more). It will depend on the location and what you see and do there, but for 6 days, I would estimate a budget of $800 for hotels, $500 for a rental car or other transportation, $700 for food, and $1,000 for entry fees and activities.

Camille from San Francisco

My vote is for California! Lots to do in the northern and southern parts. In Northern California I would go to San Francisco and Southern California, visit Los Angeles.

1. California (attraction)
  2. San Francisco (city)
  3. Los Angeles (city)