Gaia

Gaia from Chicago asked

Which is a perfect city for a short break?

Hi travelers! :)

I am looking for an interesting U.S. city where to spend 3 days. At first I thought about Boston, but it is too expensive for my wallet -keep in mind that I am a college student. Now, I am leaning towards Nashville. What do you think of it?

Do you have any city's suggestion?

Grazie! & safe trips!

United States   Nashville

Nan from Minnesota

I like Nashville.  You could stay downtown and go to the Country Music Hall of Fame.  Check out the Honky Tonk Central on Broadway.  Also a Johnny Cash Museum downtown.  Go to the Ryman Auditorium, they are always having shows there.  If you like country music you will have a good time.  Check out 12 South, lots of restaurants there, not far from downtown.

1. Country Music Hall of Fame (attraction)
  2. Honky Tonk Central (restaurant)
  3. Johnny Cash Museum (attraction)
  4. Ryman Auditorium (attraction)
Scott from Fort Collins

I've been there multiple times, but haven't been back in three years.  I can probably help more with what to see and do, than the food scene.  But I do have a few places I love to eat, and a friend that lives there with a recommendation.  If you are looking for a large musical venue, then Ryman Auditorium, or Grand Ole Opry are my top two.  I have a unique memory of seeing The Smashing Pumpkins play at the Opry in 1998 though they are very much a country music venue.  For small venues, I would try for Bluebird Cafe, or The Station Inn.  For places to see, my favorites are Country Music Hall of Fame and, in particular, Historic RCA Studio B.  Places worth seeing are The Hermitage-Home of President Andrew JacksonOpryland Hotel, Belle Meade Plantation.  Though it's a bit cheesy, in my opinion, I think it's worth it to go to Centennial Park and see an  exact replica of the The Parthenon.  I would also recommend a night stroll through Printers Alley, which is eclectic and has other live music besides country or bluegrass.  But,  you must stroll lower Broadway at night and jump in and out of the many live  music venues.  My favorite places to eat are Monell's Dining and Catering for fantastic southern cuisine, Hattie B's Hot Chicken - 19th Ave for great spicy fried chicken, and my friend recommended THE CATBIRD SEAT.  Safe travels and enjoy!

Gaia
Grazie!!! :)

1. Ryman Auditorium (attraction)
  2. Grand Ole Opry (attraction)
  3. Bluebird Cafe (restaurant)
  4. The Station Inn (attraction)
  5. Country Music Hall of Fame (attraction)
  6. Historic RCA Studio B (restaurant)
  7. The Hermitage-Home of President Andrew Jackson (attraction)
  8. Opryland Hotel (restaurant)
  9. Centennial Park (attraction)
  10. The Parthenon (attraction)
  11. Printers Alley (attraction)
  12. Monell's Dining and Catering (restaurant)
  13. Hattie B's Hot Chicken - 19th Ave (restaurant)
  14. THE CATBIRD SEAT (restaurant)
Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Gaia!  I think Nashville is a great choice.  Really has a burgeoning food scene and has enough activities for three days.  Other cities that are fantastic and easy to do on a budget are Denver, Seattle, Washington DC (if you are OK not staying in the city), Kansas City, Memphis and New Orleans.  Much of this really depends on what you are trying to get out of your time while there. All of these cities have their respective strengths and weaknesses, but I think all would be very enjoyable for three days.  Good luck and safe travels!  

Gaia
Thanks Scott! I'm glad to hear that, because I booked my trip to Nashville three days ago. Do you have any recommendations? Safe travels!