Sam
Auckland, New Zealand

United States, Mexico, The Bahamas, Punta Cana, Miami, Washington, DC

Short, but fun beach vacation during holidays with siblings and Dad?

Hi guys! So my dad and I are looking for a place to go to that's warm some time in early January and is just for 4-5 days. I'm going with my 20 year old sister and 23 year old brother too. Any recommendations on a cheap city to visit or island that's close to Washington D.C? We're looking at Miami, the Bahamas, or Punta Cana, but I am searching for an even better location that might be just a bit more off the grid...

Diane from Naperville

There isn't anywhere near DC that's warm in early Jan.  We live outside of Chicago and our weather is much like theirs.  We love Aruba, the British Virgin Islands, and Jamaica.  How about a cheap last minute cruise around The Bahamas?  Do you get Groupon in Europe? Go thru Apple Vacations and see what you like.  Even in Florida, our most Southern state is not certain of decent weather this time of year. Go further south and bring your sunscreen!

1. Aruba (country)
  2. British Virgin Islands (attraction)
  3. Jamaica (attraction)
  4. The Bahamas (attraction)
  5. Florida (attraction)

Patty from Northridge

Hi Sam, 

I am a travel agent, and I would recommend any of those cities that you mentioned. I am going to Punta Cana in April, and St Thomas Virgin Islands in January with a stop in Miami. As for off the grid, I would consider Turks and Caicos, it all depends what you really want to do when you get down there. 

1. Punta Cana (region)
  2. St Thomas (attraction)
  3. Miami (city)
  4. Turks and Caicos (country)

Lee from Florida

Driveable, or short flight:  Amelia Island / Fernandina Beach, just above Jacksonville.  Beautiful beach, lots of sports activity on the beach, old town with abundant night life and quiet restaurants.  Inexpensive accommodations or go for the expensive Elizabeth Inn on the beach- gorgeous suites.  First class hotels as well as budget hotels and house rentals are easy to find on the internet.

Take a day and drive down to Jax, going across the river at Mayport - maybe the ferry is still running.  Stop at boytiques and quaint shops alon the way on this beautiful drive.

Yulee, a short drive from Fernandina is great for horseback riding, a few stable are running there.  Drive to Saint Marys and take the ferry to Cumberland Island for hiking and watching wild horses.

Easy trip, relxing if you just stay on the beach.

1. Amelia Island (island)
  2. Fernandina Beach (city)
  3. Jacksonville (city)
  4. Mayport (attraction)
  5. Yulee (city)
  6. Saint Marys (city)
  7. Cumberland Island (attraction)

Shais from Bhadohi

Punta Cana is really a resort destination. 4-5 days in

punta Cana will get boring. Why don't you fly into Santo Domingo, the capital city and stay in the old colonial town Zona Colonial , do some sight seeing during the day and enjoy the night life and then proceed on to punta Cana.  Another recommendation would be for  Bayahibe. It's off the grid, sleepy little coastal town mostly popular as a scuba destination. Eat the local seafood and don't forget to drink the local mawi. 

1. Santo Domingo (city)
  2. Zona Colonial (attraction)
  3. Bayahibe (city)