Thom
Philadelphia

United States, Richmond, Raleigh, Fayetteville, Savannah, Brunswick, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia (State)

Real Southern BBQ off I-95 corridor during southeast road trip

My wife, teen children (2 boys and 1 girl)  and I are driving to Florida for spring break.  My kids really want to try real southern barbecue in any state south of the Mason-Dixon Line (Virginia, N. & S Carolina, Georgia).  We want to try something that is no more than 5-10 miles off of I-95.  We don't want a franchise or tourist trap restaurant.  I know that we can look on Yelp! but I thought the best recommendations would come from this site.

Thom

Kelley from Richmond, Virginia

Buz and Ned’s Real Barbecue, no question! I went to school in South Carolina and everyone bragged that South Carolina had the best barbeque. Then I brought back some of this barbeque from Virginia, and they quickly changed their minds. It's a hole-in-the wall, but definitely the best.

1. Buz and Ned’s Real Barbecue (restaurant)

Karen from San Francisco

Buz and Ned’s Real Barbecue in Richmond, VA has amazing pulled pork sandwiches and the Blvd location is right around the corner from the Science Museum of VA and the historic Monument Avenue.

Omar from New Bern, North Carolina

1. Ole Time Barbecue (restaurant)

Dorian from Raleigh

The Pit is the best place anywhere close to I-95 in NC for barbecue. Someone in another state may be able to give you a better answer.

1. The Pit (restaurant)

Shasta from Elizabeth City, North Carolina

Thom, 

I'm not sure how far off of 95 it is, but The Pit is my favorite BBQ restaurant in NC, and I have lived here most of my life, so trust me it's worth checking out!

1. The Pit (restaurant)

Alisa from Charleston (West Virginia)

Just south of Richmond in Petersburg Saucy's Walk Up BBQ

1. Saucy's Walk Up BBQ (restaurant)

Lissa from Portland

Be prepared for a lot of 'Q styles as you move south!  Here are some of my favorites:

Virginia - King's Barbecue

North Carolina - Parker's Barbecue

Georgia - Wiley's Championship BBQ

If you just Google towns along the way, then put "BBQ" in the Explore Nearby box, the map will light your way south... Enjoy!

1. King's Barbecue (restaurant)
  2. Parker's Barbecue (restaurant)
  3. Wiley's Championship BBQ (restaurant)