Melinda
Savannah

United States

Active spring break vacation in the US with 2 teenage boys

Our family is looking for an upscale spring break vacation with 2 teenage boys for 1 week with a budget of $10,000. Any ideas of where to go?

Ross from Fort Collins

Hello from a former savannah boy! I know it's not the USA but with that budget you can do almost anything! but with teenagers I would prob stick to Central America. Belizeor Costa Ricawould be a great choice! I would go with Ambergris Caye, Belize if you are more into diving/snorkeling. And Costa Rica for zip lines, rafting and wildlife tours. Both destinations are very easy to travel to and have every sort of accommodations. 

and again the Tulum area of Mexico has a good mix of both, with ruins!I'm very familiar with all of these destinations so let me know what you pick and I can help with your  itinerary.

http://wanderingross.com/

1. Belize (country)
  2. Costa Rica (country)
  3. Ambergris Caye, Belize (attraction)
  4. Tulum (city)

Christopher from San Antonio

It really depends on the type of vacation you want? Beach Vacation, Resort Vacation, Foreign Vacation, Staycation, Fishing Trips, Luxury Trips, etc. 

When I was a teenager my parents never went wrong with beach vacations and anything that included water slides. With that said You might want to check out the vacation packages at Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark. They have a variety of water thrill rides and it's a well known vacation spot.

Now if you're all like me I am fine with a little guide fishing in Laguna Madre where I've caught some pretty large and amazing fish. Mostly redfish but the struggle to bring in the big ones will excite an occasional angler. The Party boat fish is okay but once the boat limit is reach it heads back even if you catch nothing.. 

If you get sea sick and just want to ditch the kids for a few hours of Padre nightlife check out the not so crazy Beachside Bar & Grill located at the Pearl South Padre which is a Luxury Hotel that I would stay at or you may prefer the Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island  or Isla Grand Beach Resort (The last 1 being a resort package I could never Afford)

Now of course a vacation is not about us us guys...its about mom and the Sapphire Spa which has a great package called the Sapphire Royal Retreat (6 Hours). 

Your budget of $10,000 should provide you with plenty to do in Padre and leave you plenty cash for unexpected expenses should they arise.

P.S I would research Corpus Christi aswell and see if that will work too. It's not a high value vacation spot but its where alot of Texas Locals seem to end up to keep away for the tourist trap cities like South Padre Island made popular by MTV Spring Break Live

Source: Lots of research, Dreaming, and Saving. 

Website: http://www.sopadre.com/

1. Schlitterbahn Beach Waterpark (attraction)
  2. Laguna Madre (attraction)
  3. Beachside Bar & Grill (restaurant)
  4. Pearl South Padre (hotel)
  5. Hilton Garden Inn South Padre Island (hotel)
  6. Isla Grand Beach Resort (restaurant)
  7. Sapphire Spa (attraction)
  8. Corpus Christi (city)
  9. South Padre Island (city)