Connie

United States, Boston, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Martha's Vineyard

1 week in New England. Best time to visit? How to get around?

A few friends and I would like to visit New England (and check off a few states on our quest to visit all 50).

What's a good sample itinerary for a week-long vacation, if we want to try and visit multiple states? Ideally, we'd like to check out Boston, and maybe New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, etc., but we're open to anything. Maybe we'd try to go in the summer so we can check out Martha's Vineyard -- what's the best time to visit so we don't get hit with tourist prices but we still get nice weather?

Also, what's the best way to get around? Should we rent a car, or are there better options?

Thanks :)

Katie from Amherst (Massachusetts)

Hi Connie!

Sounds like a fun trip and I love your quest to visit all 50 states!

While summer in New England is beautiful, I would definitely suggest doing your road trip in the fall. The changing leaves are incredible, seriously one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! Especially if you're from CA (like me) and have never experienced a real fall, this is a must-do. You have to do your trip in a relatively small window of time- late September through early October. This means that there are lots of other leaf-watchers on the road and that people tend to drive more slowly :)

I would suggest flying into Boston Logan International Airport and spend 1-2 days exploring the city. From there you can drive to Berkshire County stopping in Northampton (Massachusetts) or Deerfield (Massachusetts), where you have to stop and walk to the top of Mount Sugarloaf State Reservation for the view. This is a picture of the Connecticut River I took from the top!You should also check out the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, cool exhibits in a converted mill! From Western Mass you could make your way through Vermont and New Hampshire to to Portland (Maine) which has the most restaurants per capita of any city. Foodie heaven!The drive from Portland back to Boston is less than two hours, but you can stop at coastal towns like Portsmouth (New Hampshire) and KennebunkportHope this is somewhat of a help! I know MA better than the rest of New England but I've driven through all these areas and they are beautiful. One thing to note- the speed limit is much lower in New England than it is in CA. Be careful! (I may have been pulled over in Vermont once.. whoops)

Have fun!!

Rory from Manchester

It would be a very busy week to try to see all the states and you would need a rental car.....but not for Boston.  

Personally I'd go after Labor Day. Most tourists are gone and prices are down. 

Fly into Boston Logan International Airport and take public transport to the city.....or hotel shuttle. You can stay in the city for a few days then take a motor coach to Falmouth, MA for the ferry to Martha's Vineyard. Martha's Vineyard is good for a day trip. You can rent bikes by the ferry, or just walk. Check out this trip: http://boston.m.allsightseeingtours.com/tour/boston/marthas-vineyard-day-trip-from-boston-bus/0-5491MARTHA/info.htm?pref=02&aid=ltgm6075&gclid=Cj0KEQjw3cKeBRDG-KKqqIj4qJgBEiQAOamX_feCDmTjeoQ8_CCx8B4hNm0k6A5-F39TGgSR77-qMHUaAnOO8P8HAQ  

When you get back to Boston, rent a car and head to the othet states. Do you want to stay on the ocean? Then go to Maine. Rather see mountains, bears and moose? Then the White Mountains of New Hampshire would be next stop. Vermont is more mountains and better seen in later Fall for foliage....or in the winter for skiing.

1. Boston Logan International Airport (attraction)
  2. Falmouth, MA (city)
  3. Martha's Vineyard (city)
  4. Maine (state)
  5. White Mountains (attraction)
  6. New Hampshire (state)
  7. Vermont (state)

Sondra from Canada

Hi, you definitely need a car. You can fly to Boston. Visit 2-3 days - many museums, historic walks, amazing aquarium, Faneuil Hall ( food and shops),great restaurants- seafood...if you are there on Sunday- huge flea market outside Boston, in Revere Beach at the drive in.  Drive to Maine- pass Kittery( outlet stores) and stay 2 nights in Ogunquit- go to beach. It would be difficult to go to Vermont you could pass through Hampton Beach , NH.. Ogunquit is prettier. Re time to go, summer! Re Martha's Vineyard, you need to reserve ferry and accommodations very early. summer is nice - beach, ocean is worth seeing. If you come in mid September, you could plan a different trip and see the trees turning colors. Enjoy. Driving is easy - good highways. 

1. Boston (city)
  2. Faneuil Hall (attraction)
  3. Revere Beach (attraction)
  4. Maine (state)
  5. Kittery (city)
  6. Ogunquit (city)
  7. Vermont (state)
  8. Hampton Beach (attraction)
  9. Martha's Vineyard (city)