James
Edinburgh

United Kingdom, London, Peterborough, Lincoln (England), Doncaster, Leeds, Harrogate, York, Durham, Newcastleton, North Berwick, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Inverness

What 'Must See Things' Are There on the East Coast and in Central UK ?

I am working up and down the East Coast, in particular along the East Coast Rail line​ from London up to Aviemore. Does anyone have any suggestions for things to do on my time off?

Joel from Lincoln (England)

Make a trip to Lincoln (England) on the East Coast mainline. It's a world class historic city with a fine example of Norman architecture in the Cathedral Quarter including Lincoln Cathedral and Lincoln Castle. The castle is home to one of only four remaining original copies of Magna Carta (it's currently on tour in the US though, back in 2015).

There are also plenty of lovely places to try some local food and some quaint tea rooms on the cobbled streets. Steep Hill is an experience in itself including restaurants, cafés and shops up an aptly steep, cobbled hill.

If you're into your history, there's lots of Roman history to follow at the top of the hill and a nice digital trail to find it all too.

1. Lincoln (England) (city)
  2. Lincoln Cathedral (attraction)
  3. Lincoln Castle (attraction)
  4. Steep Hill (attraction)

Dylan from Minneapolis

I'd recommend Whitby for a weekend trip. There's no rail line to get there, so taking the bus is the way to go. Really neat town that I visited while staying in York for a year. I took the bus from York and rode past many moors. While at Whitby I made a day trip to Robin Hood's Bay

1. Whitby (city)
  2. Robin Hood's Bay (attraction)

Elaine from Newark (England)

Catch a train into Nottingham, there is the contemporary art gallery, near the galleries of justice & a lovely hidden tapas bar called Iberico World Tapas hidden downstairs at the side or Annie's Burger Shackin the lace market to eat. Nottingham Castle, Brewhouse Yard, the caves & the yram to get about on & normally something going on in the Old Market Square. Also an eclectic & vibrant nightlife for all tastes & ages.

1. Nottingham (city)
  2. Iberico World Tapas (restaurant)
  3. Annie's Burger Shack (restaurant)
  4. Nottingham Castle (attraction)
  5. Brewhouse Yard (attraction)

Julie from York

Hi James,

On the East Coast mainline, York (my home city) is definitely worth at least a couple of days. You can check out some of my top tips in this article I wrote for TravelDudes. It also smells of chocolate - what's not to love?

I agree with Dylan on the Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay recommendation. I'd also add Newcastle into the mix (just north of Durham). There's some great Georgian architecture, the BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art(it's a bit out there, but the building itself is worth the visit in itself), the Sage Gateshead if you're into music performances. If you fancy a north-east night out, Newcastle's your place to be.

Further north, as a side-trip from Edinburgh, Stirling Castle is far less touristy.

Have a fab trip,

Julie

1. BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art (attraction)
  2. Sage Gateshead (attraction)
  3. Stirling Castle (attraction)

Gill from York

York Minster a must and book into Rustique Lendal for an meal.

The Hop in Fossgate for a drink.

1. York Minster (attraction)
  2. Rustique Lendal (restaurant)
  3. The Hop (restaurant)

Brian from Cedar Park

Durham Cathedral may be my favorite example of gothic architecture on the entire island. The train ride in gives a marvelous view.

Lindesfarne is a must see.

1. Durham Cathedral (attraction)
  2. Lindesfarne (attraction)

Jill

Stop off at York, the Northumberland coast, and Edinburgh

1. York (city)
  2. Northumberland (region)
  3. Edinburgh (city)

Christine from Leeds

Museums in Leeds are great, Abbey House Museum and Kirkstall Abbey.

1. Abbey House Museum (attraction)
  2. Kirkstall Abbey (attraction)