JR
Manhattan Beach

JR from Manhattan Beach asked

Good day trips in/around Umbria

We will be staying near lake Trasimeno. There seems to me so many great day trips around the area, so I'm looking for some help narrowing it down. Any favorites?

Umbria (Italy)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

One of my favorite day trips in the area is going to Civita di Bagnoregio.  Civita is this amazing, tiny hill town (I believe only 15 people live there full time now) that is connected to the larger area of Bagnoregio by a walking bridge.  Even though tourists have started visiting this little gem more and more, when you are there, it feels like you've gone back in time hundreds of years. A really fun place to walk the dusty streets, sample local olive oil and wine, etc.   For a great meal, Almacivita is a great option.  Cool table in the wine caves downstairs.

After Civita, if you have time, Orvieto is a very interesting hill town (or, more appropriately maybe a hill city).  Orvieto's Orvieto Cathedral is really impressive and sits in a busy town square.  The cathedral was built on top of ancient Etruscan caves, which may be of interest to the historian/archaelogists in your group.  I personally like to grab a glass of wine in the piazza and watch the people and traffic circulate around the cathedral.  

JR
I was just showing your answer to a couple guys on this trip and one said, my buddy was just there. Check out his pics. Wow. http://instagram.com/p/iPBFq_Q-8G/ And http://instagram.com/p/iMKBJXNKkv/ We are going to try to make it.

Elisa
They are also all my favourite places there. I have never been in the resaturant you are telling about, I should try it. I use to go to "Osteria La Mora". It's not in town but is in the way from Orvieto to Civita di Bagnoregio (loc. Buonviaggio, 18).

Gery
Fantastic historic town. I just love the place.

1. Civita di Bagnoregio (city)
  2. Almacivita (restaurant)
  3. Orvieto (city)
  4. Orvieto Cathedral (hotel)
Serena from San Francisco

I love Perugia. It's a beautiful city on top of a mountain, and the views are incredible. There are a few universities in it so you really get to experience what an Italian college town is like, which is fun. It's also renowned for its chocolate, and home to Casa Del Cioccolato Perugina which does a great chocolate factory tour - fun for both kids and adults! I believe the Perugia Jazz Festival is currently going on as well, which is awesome. I also love CortonaIt's one of most charming towns I've ever been to, and absolutely stunning. In Tuscany, right on the cusp of Umbria, the food and wine is some of the best I've had in all of Italy. It's where the film Under the Tuscan Sun was filmed.

Assisi is teeny tiny but could be worth a visit. Birthplace to St. Francis of Assisi. There's not a lot to do but it's people watching from piazza is always a nice way to pass some time.

I'm jealous - wishing I could go back to all of these places right now! Enjoy!

JR
Thanks Serena! I hit the jazz festival last night :)

1. Perugia (city)
  2. Casa Del Cioccolato Perugina (attraction)
  3. Cortona (city)
  4. Assisi (attraction)
Marco from Bergamo

Umbria is also great if you want to grab a few handicrafts to bring back (not to mention delicacies!). If you are into hand-painted ceramics I recommend you to pay a visit to Deruta.
And if you want a very biased suggestion, pay a visit to my brother's sister in law's atelier Maioliche Pia. She is lovely and makes gorgeous things: http://www.italianceramic.eu/

Hope this helps!

1. Deruta (city)
  2. Maioliche Pia (attraction)
Fausto from Terni

you should totally visit Trevi, it's a small town on the top of a hill, the view is stunning: you can see MontefalcoFolignoSpello and so much more! This could be a good trip if you are down to taste some good wine, meet lovely people and see wonderful places and breathless landscapes. I stayed for two weeks in Coste San Paolo and this is what you see from there: www.tettiditrevi.com .

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip in Umbria!

1. Trevi (city)
  2. Montefalco (city)
  3. Foligno (city)
  4. Spello (city)
  5. Coste San Paolo (city)