Valerie

Ubud

What is your favorite restaurant in Ubud?

Heading to Ubud and I'm looking for the best restaurants to try while I'm visiting. Open to all types of food! What are your top places to eat?

Matthew from Ubud

There's plenty of excellent eating to be done in Ubud, but here are just a few places I visit regularly:

The Elephant: I'm not a vegetarian and thought I had no interest in eating veggie - until the Elephant. Great cocktails, perfect location with sweeping views of Campuhan, spot-on service, and most importantly, fantastic food.  My mainstays include the gyoza, sweet potato fritters, gnocchi, and any and all side dishes.  Lemon ricotta cake is one of the best desserts to be had in Ubud.

Casa Luna Restaurant: In-town dining in a beautiful setting.  Casa Luna is a bargain too - you can have an app, entree, and drink for under $10.  The tofu and tempe fries are delicious, and all of their Indonesian dishes (particularly the sayur hijau and nasi campur) are impeccably executed, as are their desserts (have the Paris match or lime tart).

Rio Helmi Gallery&Cafe: A great spot for coffee and a snack.  Brilliant shakshuka and Baghdad eggs.  Rio's cafe doubles as a photo gallery, and his work (which often features in major publications like the New York Times, Vanity Fair, Vogue, and Time) is phenomenal.

Melting Wok Warung: Outstanding Lao curries at this charming second-floor eatery.  The French owner and her Indonesian staff do one dish (with slight variations) as perfectly as can be, and their hospitality is unmatched.  A dinner reservation is absolutely required, however - it's a popular spot with very few seats.

Be sure to get out beyond Ubud, too.  Warung (the Indonesian term for street side dining) are best outside of the town center, and there are some excellent places on the road south through Sayan.  If you wanted to try an eating tour of some of the best spots on the road to Mambal, stop in for bakwan jagung (corn fritters) and rendang (braised beef cooked overnight in coconut milk with a variety of spices) at the Padang joint where Jalan Raya Sayan splits just north of the paddies.  As you head south through the rice fields, you'll pass Toko Wisnu on the right (west) side of the road, where an excellent version of tipat (pressed rice cakes, tofu, and veggies smothered in peanut sauce - very spicy) can be had with the area's best avocado juice.  Sample the island's best pork sate (IMHO) at Warung Widiya (for more info, check out my review for COOK + CHEF) on the left side of the street in Sibang Kaja near Green School, and just a bit further down the road, Warung Demung makes excellent versions of Indo-Chinese staples like cap cay and fu yung hai.

Hope that helps!  Enjoy your trip!

1. The Elephant (restaurant)
  2. Casa Luna Restaurant (restaurant)
  3. Rio Helmi Gallery&Cafe (restaurant)
  4. Melting Wok Warung (restaurant)

Lauren from Chicago

Hands down, Melting Wok Warung! The food was so amazing that I had 2 entrees - their Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk is the best curry I've ever eaten, and our entire bill was only $24. Definitely a must and make sure to make a reservation!

1. Melting Wok Warung (restaurant)

Claudia from New York City

I like the following places to eat in Ubud:

1. Ibu Oka for Babi guling

2. Coco Bistro for sate

3. Casa Luna Restaurant for nasi campur (I love nasi campur)

4. Cafe Wayan for nasi campur

5. Mozaic for fine dining

6. Yellow Flower Café for coffee

7. Made's Warung Penestanan Ubud for all types of Balinese food including nasi campur

8. Ibu Putu's Warung for mie goreng and nasi campur

9. Four Seasons Resort Bali At Sayan for afternoon tea

1. Ibu Oka (restaurant)
  2. Coco Bistro (restaurant)
  3. Casa Luna Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Cafe Wayan (attraction)
  5. Mozaic (restaurant)
  6. Yellow Flower Café (restaurant)
  7. Made's Warung Penestanan Ubud (restaurant)
  8. Ibu Putu's Warung (restaurant)
  9. Four Seasons Resort Bali At Sayan (hotel)

Amanda from Sydney

Ubud is full of great restaurants, ranging from your local warung, to your fine dining. 

I have a real soft spot for Cafe Wayan. It has the traditional Balinese style decor, with delicious Balinese and Indonesian food. 

Restaurant Locavore and Mozaic are also great, for a fine dining experience. 

1. Cafe Wayan (attraction)
  2. Restaurant Locavore (restaurant)
  3. Mozaic (restaurant)

Sally from Los Angeles

This is a great list of restaurants in Ubud:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2011/apr/13/top-budget-restaurants-ubud-bali but my favorite was definitely Bebek Bengil . Roasted duck and pig on a spit are both specialties of the of the island, so I highly recommend trying both of these while you're there. 

1. Ubud (city)
  2. Bebek Bengil (restaurant)

Ben from Ridgewood, New Jersey

Restaurant Locavore - it's a michelin star restaurant with a 5 course option for around $30 USD. 

Great Value - Unreal Food - Great Service 

1. Restaurant Locavore (restaurant)

Nam from Bangkok

I like "White box" on Jalan Raya Andong, near a bank. 5 - 10min away from Ubudcity centre by car. 

A small French patisserie and cafe by Japanese owner. 

1. White box (restaurant)
  2. Ubud (city)