Heather asked

Best route

We are taking a family road trip to Seattle and want to spend a day on the Northern coast of Oregon. Does anyone have suggestions for route or how many days would be reasonable for the drive?

Twin Falls (Idaho) Seattle (Washington)   Cannon Beach (Oregon)

Stephan
Hi Heather - we live just outside of Seattle and have a condo in Seaside, OR, so we frequently make this drive.  It is roughly 4 hours, give or take depending on traffic.  If you're looking for somewhere to stay northern-coast Oregon, Seaside is a wonderful town and is about 10 minutes outside of Canon Beach.  Seaside is definitely geared toward families, and has a small aquarium, lot's of beach to explore, a nice boardwalk, good restaurants... and Canon Beach has Haystack Rock as well as a really cute town w/ fun shops/restaurants to explore as well - maybe geared slightly more to adult-exploring, but still plenty of fun for the whole fam.  Also, Ecola Park just outside of Canon Beach has incredible views of the coast and is great for sunset viewing, has Elk occasionally, and some nice hiking available.
In terms of the overall drive from Twin Falls, I can't speak as much to the first part - but if you were to do something like hit the 20 and take it out to Bend, OR (7ish hour drive) you'd be able to explore Bend which constantly gets great marks as a fun place to stay and/or explore.  Maybe stay overnight at Bend.  Then next day, continue on the 20 out to Newport on the coast - you'll cross over the Willamette Valley which is beautiful country and could potentially do some wine tasting.  Then once you hit Newport, head up North on the 101.  You'll be able to explore other beach towns such as Lincoln City, and check out Tillamook on the way up and visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory.  Either stay in one of those, or head further to Seaside as mentioned above and stay there.  Then head to Seattle when you're ready!
Driving times would be something like - 7+ hours first day out to Bend, OR, 4-5 hours out to Seaside, OR, 4+ hours out to Seattle.
Interestingly enough, we have a roadtrip planned this summmer that takes us south to Baker City, OR, stay there a couple days, then head to Idaho Falls and stay for a chunk of days, then up to Whitefish, MT for a few days, then back home.  Looking forward to getting down to your neck of the woods and seeing Shoshone Falls and then further seeing Tetons, Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon, and more!
Whatever route you take, I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip immensely!

Heather
Thank you so much! That is super helpful!!!

Michael from Tacoma
I think I'd stick to I-84 until you near Portland. At that point, you could head toward Tillamook, Cannon Beach, or Seaside, then north to Astoria, east to I-5 near Longview, then north to Seattle. Following  I-84, you'll pass through Pendleton (Pendleton Roundup?), Hermiston (sweet watermelon in season), possibly see windsurfers near Hood River or The Dallas. Closer to Portland, you can take short detours to a number of waterfalls. Between the Willamette Valley and the coast,  you might pass a winery or three. The Oregon coast tempts visitors to alter their timetable to allow for cheese and ice cream tastings at the Tillamook Creamery. TIllamook Head offers a family-friendly hike along a forested trail at the edge of the Pacific. Cannon Beach features sandy beaches, great sunsets, and lodgings that are popular with storm watchers. Seaside has its boardwalk. Astoria is close to a shipwrecked boat; an interesting Lewis and Clark National Park-Fort Clatsop, that replicates their winter camp; and filming locations for The Goonies and Kindergarten Cop. I didn't mention the great seafood you'll find along the coast. The quickest way to Seattle would parallel the Columbia to Longview then north. An alternate route crosses the Astoria Bridge to Washington, the Long Beach peninsula (kite-flying festivals?), through South Bend and Raymond (a former logging town) to Olympia and Puget Sound.
 I understand that I've offered more options than time might allow. It's good to have choices. Have a great trip.

Heather
Wow! Those are some great ideas! Thanks a bunch!! · (1 like)