Raquel
Mexico City

Tuscany, Milan, Rome

Winter in Italy

Hi, I’m planning a road trip from Milan to Rome in winter, is it a good time to travel?  

Which places do you recommend to visit?

Edmondo from Italy

Bologna - Florence (Pisa and Lucca if you want in 1 day) Siena - San Gimignano - Montepulciano - Pienza - Orvieto - Civita di Bagnoregio - Viterbo and Rome.  

Alternatively after Siena you can go to Cortona - Assisi - Spello - Spoleto - Rome.

1. Bologna (city)
  3. Pisa (city)
  4. Lucca (city)
  5. Siena (city)
  6. San Gimignano (city)
  7. Montepulciano (city)
  8. Pienza (city)
  9. Orvieto (city)
  10. Civita di Bagnoregio (city)
  11. Viterbo (city)
  13. Cortona (city)
  14. Assisi (city)
  15. Spello (city)
  16. Spoleto (city)

Ismael from Miami

Milan to Rome I envy you already, We did a trip to Verona which is going east toward Venice about 1 hr by train, amazing city, we stay in the a hotel were Romeo and Juliet balcony scene was Il Sogno di Giulietta. Gastronomy is very good en Verona. 

But between going South to Rome I advise to see Cortona stay in the Diane Lane stay in the movie Under the Tuscan Sun great service beautiful hotel and scenery you will remember this advice. 

1. Milan (city)
  3. Verona (city)
  5. Il Sogno di Giulietta (hotel)
  6. Cortona (city)

Rita from The Netherlands Klimmen

I spent a week in Rome in February/March.  Having been there in the summer, the winter trip was sooo much better.  As the previous answer stated, light jacket/sweater is OK for nights and sunny/warm during the day.  There were few crowds and we were able to take photos of the popular sights with almost no one else in the picture.

Amanda from Atlanta

Hi Raquel.  I have traveled to Italy in late November numerous times and I love it!  The crowds are not as bad (although, you will be surprised at how busy the popular sights are), and the weather is not too bad.    Starting in the North you will want a warmer coat, scarf and gloves.  As you travel farther South it is very comfortable. Rome is very comfortable with a medium coat.

As far as things to do, the list is endless.  To help narrow it down, let me ask:  What types of things do you like?  Art? Architecture? Cathedrals? Cultural events? Cafe life?  

1. Italy (country)

Dima

1. Be sure to visit the Colosseum
2. Visit the "temple of all gods" - the Pantheon
3. Visit Piazza Navona
4. Trevi Fountain - throw a coin on happiness
5. Spend the day at Villa Borghese

1. Colosseum (attraction)
  2. Pantheon (attraction)
  3. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  4. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  5. Villa Borghese (attraction)