Brenda
Long Beach

Tuscany, Florence, Siena

Transportation, wine tour, and hill town ideas

Will be in Florence for seven days and don't have a car. Hoping to avoid big bus tourist traps. Any ideas for visiting Siena and other hill towns and getting to some wineries? 

Caterina from Florence

Dear Brenda,

I'm a Florentine so this sounds very easy to me and I can share also cheap solutions for visiting Siena, some hill towns and a couple of wineries near Florence.

1) Florence's main train station - Stazione Firenze Santa Maria Novella - is very well connected with Siena, it takes 1 hour and a half to get there (15 minutes more normally, if you have to change the train in Empoli... but there are plenty of solutions without change) so it's quick and easy to organize a trip from Florence to Siena.

2) In my opinion the best hill towns are (and always will be) PienzaMontepulciano and Montalcino (especially if you like nature and wine) but from Florence it's much easier to reach San Gimignano, Monteriggioni or Volterra of course, basically it depends on you. If you want to reach San Gimignano you can do it from Siena with bus 130( TIEMME buses); Monteriggioni can be reached by taking bus 1310 to Colle Val d'Elsa and change here for Monteriggioni (bus 121); Volterra is more complicated because is not very well connected with Florence, but you can always reach Pisa by train from Florence and look for additional transportation (which I don't really know because I always drive if I want to re-visit beautiful Volterra ;-) ).

3) Wineries... there are wineries everywhere in Tuscany but they are not located downtown of course... here is a list of the nearest ones:

- Montefioralle Winery (Azienda Montefioralle)

Castello di Verrazzano (Castello di Verrazzano)

- Antinori nel Chianti Classico (Antinori Chianti Classico)

I'm almost sure you can reach the second by public transportation (bus) but if you want to visit the first or the third, a car is definitely the most comfortable solution. Here you can ask for a quote.

I hope this will help you

Regards, Caterina

1. Stazione Firenze Santa Maria Novella (attraction)
  2. Empoli (city)
  3. Pienza (city)
  4. Montepulciano (city)
  5. Montalcino (city)
  6. San Gimignano (city)
  7. Monteriggioni (city)
  8. Volterra (city)
  9. Pisa (city)
  10. Castello di Verrazzano (attraction)
  11. Antinori nel Chianti Classico (attraction)
  12. Montefioralle Winery (attraction)
  13. Siena (city)

aastha from Jaipur

Hello..I lived in Florence for 3 months while i was studying and its beautiful....tuscany is so picture postcard beautiful...most of the places are accessible with buses and trains...towns i visited was Cortona(u must see movie 'under tuscan sun' and u will fall in love with tuscany specially Cortana.....Another towns wasLucca  which is ok, but the best thing is cycling on the city wall...u will know when u enter the city....though i feel u can skip the Lucca......Another one was Montepulciano  Pienzaand San Gimignanowhich is breath-taking, a must visit.....the orange skyline was heaven...have never seen such a magical sky....also u can get good wines here,.....i also visited was Siena, that was ok too....

i hope u r traveling to other cites of italy too..... verona is just 2 hrs from florence...from verona u can go to venice another 2 hrs.... both places r must....

let me know if u need more help....i have pics too...ciao

1. Cortona (city)
  2. Lucca (city)
  3. Montepulciano (city)
  4. Pienza (city)
  5. San Gimignano (city)
  6. Siena (city)

Lala from Memphis

Siena would be my day trip of choice. Taking the train would be more scenic,but the bus actually a better choice and will drop you off at Piazza Garibaldi within the walls. Check out the Florence bus station location (near the Stazione Firenze Santa Maria Novella) and schedule at www.sitabus.it/tuscany-by-bus/ In 2012 the  return bus was from Piazza Gramsci and the cost was 7.10 euros. Happy travels!!!!

1. Piazza Garibaldi (attraction)
  2. Stazione Firenze Santa Maria Novella (attraction)
  3. Piazza Gramsci (attraction)
  4. Siena (city)

Tina from New York City

You don't need a car to visit small towns around Tuscany. The bus station provides options. I would definitely visit, Siena, San Gimignano, Lucca. You can sample wines at local restaurants and stores in town, but if you want to specifically visit wineries, I would investigate your options-as wineries may be a hit harder to get to.

1. Tuscany (state)
  2. San Gimignano (city)
  3. Lucca (city)
  4. Siena (city)

Allison

Siena is beautiful and there are many other gorgeous towns in the area, although I have never traveled the area by car. One of your days in Florence, check out the town of Fiesole. You can take a 20 minute bus ride there from the city and it feels like you are much further away. A beautiful little town to stroll through and follow the panorama/hiker signs (or ask a local) to a hiking trail that gives you gorgeous views of the city and hills.

1. Fiesole (city)